How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only place I will dive solo is in the quarry. I stay in the shallow area which bottoms out at 20 feet. My regular dive buddies and I will sometimes go there and just decided to take a dive to do whatever we want. We split up once we descend, and all agree on a time to surface. The dives are usually short <30min, and we are all within the shallow area, which is rather small. When we surface, we all make sure each other is there before we exit the water. That is the extent of my solo diving, and that is as far as I will take it.

ElectricZombie,

"Ideally, I would rather dive with a buddy. However, not many people are good divers. There are maybe 5 people that I would feel comfortable diving with." - Johnathan Mitchell NAUI Instructor

Maybe you should train your students to the point where you "would feel comfortable diving with." If you don't feel comfortable diving with them, why do you certify them?

"Underwater hunting, mostly solo."

This is the norm, but very effective hunters often hunt in pairs as a team.

"When you teach a class, and go to do checkouts, you are solo the whole time. "

My students are trained to save me before I take them to the ocean. My dives with students are not solo.

"When you volunteer to assist someone with their checkout dives, you are solo."

I only volunteer to help those who teach a comprehensive class.

"Photography, solo."

Why? I've buddied with photographers many many times and I've had buddies while I've shot pictures.

"When you DM on a charter, you solo dive."

You nailed this one. Keep thinking, you might come up with another legitimate reason for diving solo.

radagalf,

"Why can't they just keep up?"

Ever consider slowing down? Your air will last longer and you'll see more. Diving should be a team effort. Neither diver will do exactly as they please, but both will enjoy the dive and each gets to do some of what they want.

reefraff once bubbled...
Most divers I see are solo divers. That is not hyperbole. Next time you're swimming along that nice reef on vacation, take a look around and ask yourself, "How many of these 'buddy' teams would actually be effective in a serious emergency?" It's been my experience that they're almost all solo diving - they just don't know it.

Steven

AMEN!! Well said. In fact they are worst of than solo because they think they are buddy diving. Most can't even help themselves much less handle a buddy in trouble.

My cousin was the man in Gloucester MA who died while solo diving on July 26th. 15ft of water, less than 50 yards from the shore. He was a diver for 25 years. Just wanted to get a couple of lobsters for dinner that night.

I'll never dive solo. Not ever.

Matt

I am of strong opinion that unless both divers are rescue trained it is not a buddy team. Unfortunately at best numbers 94% of divers did not take a rescue course. That means that the largest population of divers are diving solo. They might be getting in the water together, they dive in the same ocean and sometimes they even exit together. But if an emergency happen, they are solo.

Solo is much more relaxing in certain environments. Much less to worry about (making sure that your buddy is OK all the time). Certain gear configurations lend perfectly to solo. A single Cylinder or Manifolded cylinders are not part of this configuration.
If someone wants to solo, they will.
I do very often. I'm going scootering at Ginnie in about 45 minutes and unless one of my friends is there (surveying), I'll be alone.

Cheers and safe diving

Have fun at Ginnie Sherpa..... I will be there tomorrow and Monday. You gonna be around? If so, look for Larry Green and you will find me.

xoomboy once bubbled...
My cousin was the man in Gloucester MA who died while solo diving on July 26th. 15ft of water, less than 50 yards from the shore. He was a diver for 25 years. Just wanted to get a couple of lobsters for dinner that night.

I'll never dive solo. Not ever.

Matt

I heard about that accident. What happened? Which site was he at? Every time I hear a story, it is different.

We are heading to Friedman's tomorrow, then maybe Morgan. I think Falmouth on Sunday, depending on viz. Are you taking a class?

You are aware that we drown Atlanta Republicans as often as possible, then drag them to Open Water so not to make cave diving seem more dangerous, eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom