How do you find a good tech instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to take AN/DP this year and I've called a couple local NJ shops who have put me in touch with their tech diving instructors. I keep reading that the most important thing when taking technical diving courses is to find a good instructor, but the question is... how do you know if the instructor is good? Prices seem to be pretty steep for AN/DP around here, so I really don't want to spend all this money and regret it.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations for NJ?

Agree with Tbone......

Although, failing that, the first and most crucial step is find one (or several) that will interview with you. At tech level I view it as more a mentorship than just another course. He/she should guide you through the course and explain it in ways that not only make sense but you agree with. Its a journey, one that takes flexibility and commitment.

Steve Lewis's book The Six Skills and Other Discussions has a section on the topic of what questions to ask an instructor when trying to choose one. But I think most people just end up choosing one based on a recommendation.

I think that it is important to get a sense of the instructor's overall approach to your learning progress. Here are some examples of what I mean.
  • When I started tech, the instructor said that in tech diving, "we don't hold your hand the way they do in regular PADI courses." What did he mean by that? It turned out that by "holding your hand," he meant explaining how to do a skill, demonstrating how to do a skill, and giving you a chance to practice it before testing you on it and humiliating you for your failure. He avoided all that hand holding in that class.
  • When searching for a cave instructor, I read lots of recommendations in threads. I found some instructors were praised by their former students for the way they would curse at you and make you feel miserable for your mistakes. I decided those instructors were not for me.
Some tech instructors really do have a drill sergeant approach to learning. Lots of people like that. Others don't. IMO, a tech student generally comes to the class eager to do well--I have not had any other experiences so far. When they make mistakes, they beat themselves up for it and do not need any help from me in that regard. Others like those beatings.

So what are your preferences along those lines? Decide what you are looking for and craft some questions that will give you a sense of that instructor's approach to learning. A simple conversation will be very revealing if you know what to look for.

call @Trace Malinowski and be done with it

Agree with Tbone......

Aw, shucks, guys! :)

Steve Lewis's book The Six Skills and Other Discussions has a section on the topic of what questions to ask an instructor when trying to choose one. But I think most people just end up choosing one based on a recommendation.

I was just thinking about Steve Lewis in the shower. No, not in that way, pervs! I was thinking about the SDI/TDI instructor crossover I did with Steve years ago and how Steve said something that changed my entire approach to teaching. Steve remarked, "As instructors, it is our job to make other people's underwater dreams come true." Coming from a GUE tech background, I realized that many of those who entered DIR training became too focused on attaining perfection. Perfection not only became the enemy of the good, but the quest for perfection of skills often ended up stealing their dreams of diving and robbed them of the balance of knowledge and experience as too much time was spent hovering on training platforms to look good. The instructors didn't try to encourage balance because the students became swimming billboards of instructor prowess. Many years of training were front loaded before the divers would be able to find their way to the fun. I've tried to put safety first, fun second, and then balance the rest so the diver feels qualified and worthy of doing the types of dives they want to do. A third of one's diving time should be about fun, a third about practice, and a third about experiencing new things such as new courses, pushing one's comfort zone, or doing projects, finding new sites, or learning to use new toys to keep the dreams alive and create new goals.

Wah, PM me or call the number on my website and let's chat! I've got several intro to tech, advanced nitrox, and trimix courses scheduled in the next couple months.

Aw, shucks, guys! :)

I was just thinking about Steve Lewis in the shower. No, not in that way, pervs! I was thinking about the SDI/TDI instructor crossover I did with Steve years ago and how Steve said something that changed my entire approach to teaching. Steve remarked, "As instructors, it is our job to make other people's underwater dreams come true." Coming from a GUE tech background, I realized that many of those who entered DIR training became too focused on attaining perfection. Perfection not only became the enemy of the good, but the quest for perfection of skills often ended up stealing their dreams of diving and robbed them of the balance of knowledge and experience as too much time was spent hovering on training platforms to look good. The instructors didn't try to encourage balance because the students became swimming billboards of instructor prowess. Many years of training were front loaded before the divers would be able to find their way to the fun. I've tried to put safety first, fun second, and then balance the rest so the diver feels qualified and worthy of doing the types of dives they want to do. A third of one's diving time should be about fun, a third about practice, and a third about experiencing new things such as new courses, pushing one's comfort zone, or doing projects, finding new sites, or learning to use new toys to keep the dreams alive and create new goals.

Wah, PM me or call the number on my website and let's chat! I've got several intro to tech, advanced nitrox, and trimix courses scheduled in the next couple months.

I'm training with Dan Downes now and he mentioned when he was doing Steve's course there was a wonderful moment when he was oblivious to the several deco bottles they attached to his butt ring.........

Jon is great.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom