How do you keep Jet Fins lasting so long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned a few things...I cleaned up my ebay Jet Fins to look new; but afterwards I probably will simply rinse and hang dry.

Don't every use any aerosol spray (silicone). They organic solvent will mar the rubber.

Don't use ArmorAll (original) because I think it will tend to "whiten" over time

Don't use any oils (home lubricants) as this will also mar and possible warp the rubber.

I found that ArmorAll Protectant Gel (new product) cleans great and should protect the rubber from UV rays. Again, I would do this very rarely, because it appears that the Jet Fins are perfect with little or no maintenance. (rinse and store)

Richard

How about non-aerosol silicone spray? (pump) That's what my LDS recommended. I don't really care about the look of the fin too much, but I need the lubrication on occasion because my shoes are a smidge to big to get in easily without it.

CompuDude:
but I need the lubrication on occasion

I'm pretty sure the prison dive team uses "astro glide" or "KY". Give that a try, you should slip right in. :eyebrow:

Cheers :D

Mike

Mike Edmonston:
I'm pretty sure the prison dive team uses "astro glide" or "KY". Give that a try, you should slip right in. :eyebrow:

Mike
Water soluble is a no-no. Did our nights in the jacuzzi teach you nothing? :mooner:

CompuDude:
Water soluble is a no-no. Did our nights in the jacuzzi teach you nothing? :mooner:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

They are repressed memories, let's keep them that way:confused:

Mike

I don't rinse them, wax then or otherwise spend time trying to make the look better. I leave them in the sun for days at a time on the boat, store them in a hot garage or hot room in Mexico. All this will probably shorten the life span to only 20 years or so, but then again, maybe not.

rinse in fresh water, dry, then just brush on a thin layer of kiwi shoe polish. They'll look like new, and the polish will nourish the rubber, keeping it supple and prevent drying/cracking. Which incidentally shouldn't happen for at least 4 decades :wink:

What am I doing wrong? I've had three pairs of Jets for in the last ten years, and have blown out three foot pockets. I love the fins, but I'm planning on getting the OMS Jets to try a different compund.

texspeleo:
What am I doing wrong? I've had three pairs of Jets for in the last ten years, and have blown out three foot pockets. I love the fins, but I'm planning on getting the OMS Jets to try a different compund.
How do you blow out a foot pocket? Got any pictures? It sounds interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom