How do you keep warm during SI when it is cold outside??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
It is getting cooler here, but I am not ready to hang up my booties for the winter just yet. Was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on staying warm during the surface interval. I will be diving wet as the dry suit is a long way from reach in the budget right now.

Water temps will be 60-70's and the air will be windy and in the 50-60's. I have a canopy with side walls that I am going to put up, a big terry bath robe, flannel pants and booties, several changes of stocking hats and gloves, a coleman stove to make hot tea, coffee, chocolate and so forth, and a blanket. Have I forgotten anything? Just got certified this spring, so this is my first chilly dive.

For my exposure in the water, I have a 7mil suit, reef gloves and a 5/3 henderson hood

Thanks for the advice and if anyone wants to join me in South Carolina, the details are on this link http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=162248

Thanks,
Leah:D

The Key is to get dry quickly.. Get out of the neoprene as soon as possible. Wrap up in your robe, get out of the wind and get Hot Cocoa in as soon as you're stripped. Usually works for me and I hate cold weather.:D

How about a boat jacket? Some dive shops out here sell them. They are big fleece-lined nylon long coats and block wind very well. Divegear sells them if you want one with a dive logo on it.

www.divegearusa.com

Many of the folks I see here in CA in the winter get out of the water, stay in their wetsuits, and put a dive coat over their wetsuit. That has never worked for me -- the wet suit acts like a swamp cooler when there is wind.

The best bet is to get dry (even if you only peel down the top half of your wet suit), put on something fleecy and warm, get in out of the wind, and drink something warm. Remember that you lose 20% of your body heat through your head, so a warm cap really helps.

sounds like you’ve all the right things.
may i recommend being well rested, hydration, and nutrition

For me, if the surface interval is less than 45 minutes, I'll stay in the wet wetsuit and put something windproof on over top. Both top (jacket) and bottom (pants).

More than 45 minutes, get out of the heat-sucking wetsuit! As fast as you can. It will seem backwards, as you peel out of the suit into colder temperatures, but your body will thank you quickly.

All the best, James

fdog:
For me, if the surface interval is less than 45 minutes, I'll stay in the wet wetsuit and put something windproof on over top. Both top (jacket) and bottom (pants).

More than 45 minutes, get out of the heat-sucking wetsuit! As fast as you can. It will seem backwards, as you peel out of the suit into colder temperatures, but your body will thank you quickly.

All the best, James

What he said. The key is to make yourself 'wind proof' if you stay in a wetsuit. Better is to get out of it and put on some warm clothes.

Eat and drink well, enjoy the company and anticipation of the next dive.

Even when diving drysuit, I get out. Is more comfy.

I use two of these heaters in my canopy. Two are nice for colder weather but one will do a great job taking the chill off the air in the temperatures you're talking about. The side walls on your canopy will help a lot just by giving you shelter from the wind.

I went to the local Odd Lots store and bought a 4'x6' indoor/outdoor rug to stand on when I change and boy is that ever nice on the bare feet when getting out of booties. Even car floor mats or carpet remnants will work, I've used both but I like having the larger carpeted area. I bring along hangers and hang my suit inside my canopy. You can also bring a few jugs of warm water to pre-warm your suit before donning it. Nothing ickier than cold damp neoprene, warm damp neoprene isn't too bad :wink: A cooler with warm water in it is a nice place to store your hood and gloves between dives but if space is limited you can just pour water into these before donning them as well.

A friend brings along a leaf blower to clear those "slippery when wet" leaves away from his tent area. You don't know what a nice touch that is until you nearly bust your butt slipping on leaves :D
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom