How do you keep your lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roswin

Reaction score
When you go diving and you are taking with you the additive lenses (WAL and macro), where do you store them? Do you put or connect them to the B.C? Is there any other trick? The lenses are coming with a corrective ring (from 40mm to 67mm for istance). That's means you can take out the ring whebever you want if you move from a camera to another?

You can typically purchase a lens adaptor that would attach the lens to your arm for easy accesibility. I had a professional underwater photographer advise me against that as it leaves the lens exposed to getting bumped, jarred and potentially damaged or worse yet, lost. I used to carry my macro lense that way on my Sea&Sea unit. The plastic housing around the macro lense cracked on me two times due to the lens getting bumped (1X against the boat and the other time while in the rinse bucket) With my new Oly 5060 setup, I'm planning to use a neoprene pouch with a draw string and attach it to my BC and carry in the BC pocket. That will give me the ultimate protection. With the WAL lense representing a major ($329) investment, I want to keep it covered and protected at all times.

I have the Inon 100 WAL and use the Digital Lens Dock with a lens leash to secure it when not in use.
I might be getting macro lenses soon so I can't say yet how I will be storing them. Gimme a couple'a weeks :D

I also use the Digital Lens Dock. The lens isn't in any more danger of getting damaged than it is mounted on your camera. I position my DLD on the arm so that the lens is facing me, away from the front of the camera. This makes it easy for me to reach and something would have to strike it from behind me to damage it.

roswin:
When you go diving and you are taking with you the additive lenses (WAL and macro), where do you store them? Do you put or connect them to the B.C? Is there any other trick? The lenses are coming with a corrective ring (from 40mm to 67mm for istance). That's means you can take out the ring whebever you want if you move from a camera to another?

setup3.jpg

I also use the Digital Lens Dock for my WAL. I rigged it to sit above my camera with the lens facing up. So far it has done well. I don't have the macro lens as I have not figured out where to put it. The Digital Lens Dock will not suffice for it as the leash cannot attach to the macro lens as it has no collar like the WAL. There is a threaded lens dock that Yuzo sells which may be more suitable for the macro lens.

I have just ordered the Digital Lens Dock for my WAL...didn't realise it won't fit my macro lens but that's OK. Have two macro lenses on the way (new toys!!) that should be here next week so will have to think of a solution before then.

Currently I have my WAL in a soft padded pouch used to protect fishing reels. $7 from our local fishing store (and trust me, if ours has it in the middle of no where, they should be easy to find!). I didn't get a neoprene one as I didn't want it to float - a pain to get back in my pocket. I have a keychain ring thing on the drawstring cord and that clips to my BCD (brass clip). This lets me put the bag back in my pocket and securely close the pocket. Or it simply hangs (without lens!) along my side if I have been too lazy or distracted to put it away. Have used this on only about four or five dives now, but haven't found any problems and the system is simple for me to use and I feel the lens is protected adequately.

I would guess I will use the lens dock for the WAL and pop the macros into the pouch...

alcina:
I have just ordered the Digital Lens Dock for my WAL...didn't realise it won't fit my macro lens but that's OK. Have two macro lenses on the way (new toys!!) that should be here next week so will have to think of a solution before then.

The macro lens will fit in the Digital Lens Dock. You just can't use the leash on it. For that reason I would be concerned it may fall out.

Back
Top Bottom