How do you know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaHump

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I leave tomorrow evening for FL to take my cavern and basic cave. I am very nerves about this class I have done my homework and checked all my gear. I have packed the truck and am ready to go.
IF and I mean if I pass this class I plan on staying a few days after and doing some cave diving. How do I know what caves to dive in? How do I know the difficulty level of the system?

well .... the caves you will be able to access no questions asked will be easy to medium, for the most part. the advanced caves are generally off limits without a guide.

the best thing to do is to pair up with someone who knows the system and let them guide you for the first few dives

remember, you're going to be diving 1/3 of a single or 1/6 of doubles, so your penetration will really be minimal

http://www.tampadiving.com/

This is a great resource for checking out systems in Florida. Once you have an idea about which ones you want to check out, ask around, there will be plenty of people that can tell you about the various systems. But like Andy said, you should pair up with someone who knows the system, as that is your safest bet.

Chris

The caves you dive in training will be great places to dive outside of training, as well.

As others have said, hook up with someone familiar with the caves.

H2Andy:
well .... the caves you will be able to access no questions asked will be easy to medium, for the most part. the advanced caves are generally off limits without a guide.

the best thing to do is to pair up with someone who knows the system and let them guide you for the first few dives

remember, you're going to be diving 1/3 of a single or 1/6 of doubles, so your penetration will really be minimal

What is the rule of 6th's?????????????

mrjimboalaska:

lol.... let's not open up THAT can of worms

:eyebrow:

mrjimboalaska:
You drink 1/6 of your beer from the first can, then another 1/6 from the the second can and so on... :D

It's the volume adjusted rule of thirds for doubles. It gives the same volume of gas on doubles as a single tank would using the rule of thirds, assuming the single and the doubles are all the same tank size.

LOL finding someone to dive with me when I can only us a 6th of my gas and being a new cave diver. I bet the buddies will be standing in line LOL

do it easy:
You drink 1/6 of your beer from the first can, then another 1/6 from the the second can and so on... :D

It's the volume adjusted rule of thirds for doubles. It gives the same volume of gas on doubles as a single tank would using the rule of thirds, assuming the single and the doubles are all the same tank size.
So, assuming, rule of 6th's, and a RB of 800psi, after primary and secondary tie's are done, we have 2800 psi left, we turn at 2460 psi? are the rules in Cave diving that different than wreck penetration? Hey, that gives me 2090 psi to surface on after I exit the cave.......
I'm not stroking, but figured the rule of thirds carried over to caves as well.....everytime I turn around I find myself more ignorant in my diving skills.......

AquaHump, a good place to start asking about various systems would be your instructor. He/she will have just spent several days diving with you, so will have a good idea as to what sites you have the skill level to dive.

As far as the rule of 6th's goes. If you take the Into level class (NACD) in a single with an Hvalve, the limits of your certification state that you can only dive with a single, to 2/3 of your starting volume, then you must turn the dive and proceed out of the cave system. If, on the other hand, you take the class in doubles, and your instructor is satisfied with your skill level and attitude, they can sign a waiver that alters your certification to allow you to dive with doubles, but only to 5/6ths of your starting volume, thereby limiting you to approximately the same amount of penetration as you would achieve with a single at 2/3rds. Theoretically speaking, that is.

If you take Basic Cave thru NSS/CDS, the class is done in doubles, and the rule of 1/6ths still applies, but the waiver is not needed.

I beloieve, and I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong, Cave1 with GUE can only be done in doubles, and once again, the rule of 1/6ths applies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom