How do you manage buoyancy in your drysuit?

How do you prefer to control buoyancy when diving dry?

• I use my dry suit exclusively for buoyancy control.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I only add air to reduce squeeze and use my BCD or BP/W for buoyancy control.

Votes: 63 67.0%
  • I do not own a dry suit, they are for whimps who cant take the cold.

Votes: 13 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pt40fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK, the fire side discussion this weekend was on the most efficient way to control buoyancy when diving dry.

Argument #1 was that using the drysuit exclusively reduces task loading and as a result should be used in this fashion.

Argument #2 was that using the BCD or BP/W for buoyancy control and only introducing enough air to the dry suit to reduce squeeze is prefered because the BCD or BP/W allows you to purge or add air more efficiently and faster if need be.

What say you all?

I've been diving my drysuit for over a year now, and have about a hundred dives on it.....When I started diving it, we were in May, and water temps were hovering around 34F. I was told that adding air to the suit decreased task loading, and added warmth in the frigid water....true, but becomes kinda difficult to really control trim until you get the hang of controlling the "bubble" in your suit.
Last Fall, I did my cave course. After that, I have only been adding enough air to reduce squeeze, since it is much easier to vent air from a BC/Wing when still in good trim position. If you get air in your feet in a cave, there is not much of an option available to drop your feet to get the air to float up to the exhaust port on your arm. Doing a 60+ minute dive with floaty feet the whole time is frustrating as heck.
Long story short.....adding air to the suit is good if circumstances don't demand good trim....in a cave or wreck, the BC/wing option is much more efficient. Only caveat is that if you are diving in cold water (say under 45F), you need to add more air into your suit just for warmth.

My 2cents.

Wetvet

I run the suit a little tight so I do not have to chase a bubble. If it is cold, I use more insulation. Layering works wonders.

If I am diving shallow, I often do not hook up my drysuit inflator.

If you are properly weighted you will only have to use your drysuit for squeeze elimination (which also keeps you pretty much neutral) for the first 50 ft or so. Then past 50 use the BC/MC/BCD to keep neutral and better trim and the suit to provide enough "loft" to your undergarment, if you are getting cold it's time to get some thicker undies. This is when diving single al80. The air bubble in the suit is a huge dynamically unstable airspace which could possibly be a hazard in certain enviroments. Dosen't BC stand for buoyency compensator...and dry suit is to keep you dry...or am I missing something.
We teach drysuit buoyency only in the beginning to minimize task loading, to get people used to venting and as already stated unless you are grosly overweighted, by eliminating squeeze you will effectivly maintain buoyency. When people start to gain some experiance the task loading is not a problem.

I just use mine to reduce squeeze...
Partly because of the unstability of the air in a DS (floaty feet etc) and also because when I got my drysuit I knew how to control bouyancy with my BC but not with my DS (obviously) so instead of spending time learning to do that with my DS, I went diving...
Also nowadays I dive wrecks and so appreciate the greater control that I feel I have over bouyancy with BC. It also means there´s a synergy between wet and dry diving as all dives are made with same equipment, in the same way, except for exposure protection...

At the risk of repeating something thats been asked on here 26 times in the last 4 months...

You need to add another "I use either depending upon my mood" choice.

Use the search and check out the exposure protection forum - its a question that comes up nearly weekly that never has a definitive answer.

Its personal preference.

Good point String, I've been here long enough to know to search other forums. However, it's here now and seeing as I don't go into all forums, and this forum is viewed by almost all members and guests. I'll leave it here and see what happens.

The poll is only good for 180 days, because I hate seeing dead threads resurrected.

So far the responses have been close to what was being discussed this weekend around the campfires with about a dozen divers.

Some took a very strong point of view, and were unwavering in the contention that a diver should use “dry suit only”. They argued that dry suits were around longer than buoyancy compensators and therefore you do not need the BCD or BP/W. Most found this argument to be very short sighted and lacking in logic including myself.

The ones who dive dry and use the BCD or BP/W for buoyancy compensation took more of a “what ever works for you” point of view.

The problem as I saw it was with some new dry suit divers who find themselves being completely frustrated by floaty feet and in some cases uncontrolled ascents. They were taught to dive with the dry suit only method and are spending their time fighting with buoyancy only to become so frustrated that they are getting ready to give up diving. I contrast that with the new dry suit divers who were taught to only remove squeeze and compensate with the BCD or BP/W. They are enjoying themselves and don’t risk injury by uncontrolled ascents.

Got to say - this subject interests me greatly. I have been diving dry only since the turn of the year - and I was taught to use the drysuit exclusively for buoyancy control. The BC was for surface stability and safety only. BUT - I have found it occasionally challenging to maintain depth (especially in the depth range 0-30ft when ascending). I know (because I've taken some care to establish it,) that I am correctly weighted, but it's just awkward sometimes to purge quickly enough from the D/S shoulder valve. I may just give the BC and D/S squeeze adjustment only option a shot.

I have changed my mind and therefore cannot find a vote category...

I used to use the suit only. However, since buying a new suit I find the feet float up despite ankle weights and I spend half the dive pissing about trying to get the air in the top half of the suit. As a result I am trying to use the BC again. However, as its been about 12 years since I used one underwater it boils down to habit. Again this weekend I found myself pressing the familiar button on the chest just short of the bottom for a a perfect hover. Only to find the bas**rd feet floating up a bit later.

Its my body size/shape and big feet. The old suit (Northern Diver) fitted so very well it was like not being there. This one (Scubapro) has too long legs so there is some spare room for the air bubble.

Maybe when I'm rich and buy a made to measure DUI I can go back to suit only.

I wouldn't dream of arguing whether this is right or wrong or if other people wish to do it different. I have done a PADI Drysuit course, but it was so long ago I can't remember what they said. The PIC card has faded and is the old (laminated) type. None of that photo laser technology nonsense in those days!! I recon about 16 years ago..

Chris

Another vote for just enough air to take the squeeze off only. I'ts much easier to control the buoyancy that way (at least for me). My drysuit has integral boots in a larger size than my foot. Using two pairs of socks helps keep the air from getting into the boots in the first place.

I love diving dry :07:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom