How do you manage your non-diving spouse / significant other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....my takeaway here would be, if one's 'SO' isn't already a diver, run them through classes AND a 'medical' too, it would be kinda a big deal for me if a 'SO' wasn't interested in diving or couldn't dive for medical reasons, it would generate a relationship tension that just wouldn't work for me.

it would be kinda a big deal for me if a 'SO' wasn't interested in diving or couldn't dive for medical reasons, it would generate a relationship tension that just wouldn't work for me.

You want a relationship based on SCUBA? My wife, and I have plenty of other things to do together. Personally I enjoy getting out once in a while.
Some guys play golf, others fish. I like to dive. Its me time.

Could I get some recommendations of places to go where the diving is top notch and yet there is plenty to do for a non-diver wife on shore [who mostly does not like boats either]. does like to lounge and relax on the beach and read so we have really enjoyed 7 Mile Beach in Grand Cayman, but after a while she wants something else. Be creative, divers, since I am sure this situation is pretty common. And thanks in advance.

Here's another option for you: two of my good dive buddies are both married to nondiving ladies, and they dive together while their wives shop for jewelry and clothes. So, sometimes the whole gang goes "on vacation" to great places with shopping, spas, and other stuff to do, and the divers get to do some dives on some days but not all and sometimes the divers go "on dive trips" without the nondivers for uninterrupted diving. The important thing is to agree up front on what type of trip it is, and if your wife ever go "on a dive trip" please make sure she is aware up front what it will really be like (crappy "dive resort" vs a really nice hotel, may not be available so much for romantic dinners and long walks along the beach because you have another dive in 25 min).

Could I get some recommendations of places to go where the diving is top notch and yet there is plenty to do for a non-diver wife on shore [who mostly does not like boats either]. does like to lounge and relax on the beach and read so we have really enjoyed 7 Mile Beach in Grand Cayman, but after a while she wants something else. Be creative, divers, since I am sure this situation is pretty common. And thanks in advance.

Done Curacao twice with my non-diving wife and non-diving kids.

Shore diving is perfect...

"Honey, I'm going for a dive. Want me to grab you a piña colada on the way back?"

476929503_1fb3d879a6.jpg

Most of the great beaches have a great reef, and many have a dive shop, if not a bar/restaurant.

The first time we went, my wife remarked that for the first time in a long time she didn't feel like she and the kids "came with me on a dive trip" even though I did 2-3 dives a day for a week.

:angel2::help::help::help:I try to keep the ropes loose so thay dont leave marks on her wrists and ankles, a long straw is in order with a gallon of water. Dont forget the Adult diapers, dive trips can get long.:D

SeaHound - I'm married 33 years. First 25 years of it (when we could manage a vacation), we'd go someplace where my spouse would: bike, hike, fish, ski, kite surf...blah, blah, blah and I would sit around, read, twiddle my thumbs, drink fruity frozen cocktails and wait for him to finish whatever activity he was involved with so we could have dinner together.

Then one day I told him (for a variety of reasons) that I wanted to run away from my life and he asked, "What will you do with your life if you run away? Can you name just one thing that you might find appealing?" For some reason, the first thing that came to mind was "I think scuba diving sounds like an interesting pursuit."

One week later I came home and found a big black equipment bag (with a big red ribbon and bow around it) containing a mask, snorkel, fins, wetsuit and a certificate for the PADI open water certification course. There was a note that said, "And now, you have to take the class because it's already paid for and non-refundable."

That was 8 years ago and now I'm a divemaster. Nice story, huh? But to answer your question, my spouse (who will do anything BUT scuba dive because he has ear problems, feels claustrophobic and finds the whole underwater experience anxiety provoking) has no problem with my taking solo dive trips several times a year.

I think leaving a spouse behind can be a very hard thing to negotiate in the early years of marriage and separate vacations can raise a few eyebrows, but healthy relationships can and should reasonably sustain the freedom of partners to pursue individual interests. The 2 key words here are "negotiate" and "reasonable". Good luck.

My hubby doesn't dive but he does golf... so I try to find places he can golf and I can dive. Unfortunately golf means doesn't always go well with the best dive places. We tried Cozumel recently and he LOVED it, so we can go back there, yay! He loves food too, and we found some great places to eat at.
I have found a couple places that work out well for us;

Puerto Aventuras has good diving (not fantastic like Cozumel but still good) and the dive sites are so close that I can go out and dive for 1 hour, return to the hotel, check and see if he minds me going out again and then I go out for the second dive. Plus there are lots, and lots of topside things to do there, like Tulum and Coba ruins, Xel Ha and Xcaret ecoparks, shopping, cenotes and many beaches.

Cozumel worked for us because I only did four days boat diving and the rest of the time I sandwiched shore dives around our schedule.

Cabo works for us because the diving is so close I am only gone for a couple hours and I only do 4 days diving (but the diving is just ok there, lots of big fish, just not great visibility).

Puerto Vallarta didn't work for diving because it is an all day affair to go diving and the diving is just OK. I ended up not diving very much there and he golfed like a maniac.
Our next trip is Maui, I am planning on diving a fair bit and I am hoping he will be golfing the whole time so I won't feel guilty for diving like a maniac.
I guess it's all about give and take, and spending time together. Good luck.

Try Nassau Bahamas. Lots to do and Stuart Cove's is there. Great dive operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom