How Do You Recognise Skin Bends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rash, marbleing and itchiness are all symptoms. They usually present 1-6 hours after diving but up to 24 hours has been reported. Note that all of the symptoms are ambiguous and can have multiple causes. And it is likely there are some false positives in the mix. If the symptoms resolve with recompression, or oxygen, they are usually attributed to DCS.

Note that DCS is at least by DAN statistics very uncommon. Arterial gas embolism due to fast ascents is much more common. If you are a new diver making a slow ascent, especially for the last 10 feet or so, is where you focus should be.

Note that DCS is at least by DAN statistics very uncommon. Arterial gas embolism due to fast ascents is much more common. If you are a new diver making a slow ascent, especially for the last 10 feet or so, is where you focus should be.
Huh? Could you link the reference. Much more common then the bends? My understanding is that AGE represents about 10 percent of DCI cases. AGE is from ascents with a closed airway due to breath holding or lung disease, fast or slow though granded fast is much more likely. AGE is often fatal.

Confusing, is how it is.

howdy and welcome from south Florida USA........all the info above is a great source for your knowledge base......

If you are talking about fatalities, which I do not believe they have released any new data in years, I can believe it, actual number of cases I would be quite surprised. DAN only knows of DCS, or any dive accident, from divers that voluntarily bring it to them, so I would doubt that they have any idea how many cases of skin bends or mild hits divers have and ignore. I know they have no data from me, anyone else?

Bob

Ummm. AGE is 10%, and AGE is much more likely. How's that?
Hmmm. So of all reported (see Bob's post) DCI events, AGE comprises 10 percent. That leaves 90 percent as other DCS events including skin bends. Still confused how 10 is much more likely then 90.

Ummm. AGE is 10%, and AGE is much more likely. How's that?

Hmmm. So of all reported (see Bob's post) DCI events, AGE comprises 10 percent. That leaves 90 percent as other DCS events including skin bends. Still confused how 10 is much more likely then 90.

Initial Reported or Observed Problem of Divers Brought to the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber (1995 - 2000):

Buoyancy Problem: 12%
Air Supply Problem: 11%
Buddy Problems: 10%
Decompression Problem: 6%
Equalizing Problem: 6%
Pain: 6%
Uncomfortable: 5%
Environmental Problem: 4%
Equipment Problem: 3%
Medical Problem: 3%
Regulator Problem: 3%
Rapid Ascent: 2%