How do you secure your camera underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So do I ... but it's worth mentioning that those things work themselves loose sometimes. I actually lost a camera that way once, on a drift dive in the Tacoma Narrows. Fortunately, I was able to hand-over-hand my way back (only about a one-kt current) and, unbelievably, found it. It's also worth mentioning that the camera had a balance weight on it ... if it had been positively buoyant, I'd have never seen it again.

To respond to the original question, Cheng has an A620, and she uses both the coiled lanyard and wrist strap (she who takes no chances) ... as shown in the attached photo.

As to entry, most times I will clip my camera onto my right D-ring, cradle it in my right hand, and do a "Nestea Plunge" off the boat (tank-first entry). Haven't had any issues with it yet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Same here, i do "Nestea Plunge", i did know there is a word for this entry!!! lol

If not I would squat down and roll back when others do giant strike in. :)

But I just got a strode, not sure if they will protect the strode.

Had asked a local shop and he has advised me to placed the camera on the head and giant strike in. not sure if that is good as compared to the "Nestea Plunge" which you used your whole body to protect the camera from impact to the water, against using just the top part of your body to protect it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom