How do you signal air remaining?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
And you thought there was a simple answer.

I'm glad we were able to clear all this up for you.

What else would you like to know?
Wow, I didn't think I would need popcorn for this :11:
Thanks for all the input

dlndavid:
You got that right, what next? Have you thought about a BP/Wing? :D
.... Why yes , I have :eyebrow:

DB

I think We should ask UP and then have everyone do it that way. It will be called SOUND. When you ask for a Sounding, you will get the :
S cubaboard
O fficial
U ncle Pug
N umber
D isplay

Dectek:
I think We should ask UP and then have everyone do it that way.
won't work - I'll give Pug the offical middle finger.

You and Dectek.......... Careful now, talk like that is walking on thin ice.:walksmil:

He might post another Ranger story :crossbone and then the whole board will be highly upset with both of you.

You'll get :hanged:'ed.

CIBDiving:
won't work - I'll give Pug the offical middle finger.

Don Janni:
He might post another Ranger story and then the whole board is going to mad at both of you.

euuuwwwww!!! Good Point- I'll behave ..... well maybe

Matthew:
2000 psi = 2 fingers
1000 psi = 1 finger
100 or 200 psi = LOW ON AIR signal or SHARE AIR signal.
No confusion.:wink:

Do you know how large a percentage of recreational divers don't know the signal for low on air? Unfortunately it is too high. This week alone I have had 2 people, who were told specifically to let me know when they were at 1500, signal me that they were at 300 psi. Luckily I routinely sneak a peek at every gauge a time or two during a dive and had them at the boat already without them knowing it. I'm trying to accomodate the lowest common denominator here.

friscuba:
Do you know how large a percentage of recreational divers don't know the signal for low on air? Unfortunately it is too high. This week alone I have had 2 people, who were told specifically to let me know when they were at 1500, signal me that they were at 300 psi. Luckily I routinely sneak a peek at every gauge a time or two during a dive and had them at the boat already without them knowing it. I'm trying to accomodate the lowest common denominator here.

I do not intend to question your methods, they seem to work for you. My comments are based on my own experiences. I just find it hard to believe that somebody who just realized that he only has 100 psi left will simply flash one finger and do nothing else. :11: Anybody that dumb will not be able to pick up any signalling method.

Wouldnt it be much easier and safer to adopt the universally accepted low-on-air signal for anything below 500 psi (or higher pre-agreed value), than having a signal for 100, 200 or 300 psi, which gives the impression that its OK to intentionally drain your tank that low?:eyebrow:

When I ask a buddy how much air he/she has I compare it to my air.........500lb later I'll ask again. This way I know how much of a difference between us their is.

I would have offered my spg for he/she to see but I dive with a wireless wrist computer. I've recently added the spg back to my setup so now for those that wish to see spg your more than welcome too.

I was taught to flash 5 fingers for 500lb and round-off to lowest hundred. 1870lb: I will flash 1800lb.

Now if I'm diving with Ken, I'll grab his octo for the first 20min of the dive, this way we can get more bottom time :wink: .

Yesterday I went on a guided dive with 4 other DIR divers. Now diving together we all used the same signals the night before, but when the guide asked us our air pressure we all reverted to what we thought was the "common" tongue ... I saw three different styles all in the space of 30 seconds :wink: It was funny watching our guide figure it out lol

Still a great dive though -

Aloha, Tim

This is a great thread. Very informative!

kidspot:
Yesterday I went on a guided dive with 4 other DIR divers. Now diving together we all used the same signals the night before. . .

Just out of curiosity: Which of the previously discussed methods is "DIR approved"?

Back
Top Bottom