How do you signal air remaining?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B:
She indicated thousands by splaying right hand fingers across her left arm, above the wrist , and then hundreds by holding up the corresponding number of fingers , again using her right hand.
DB

this is how i do it

xiSkiGuy:
Just out of curiosity: Which of the previously discussed methods is "DIR approved"?

Oh Crud!!! I had hoped nobody would bring that up. :cussing:

CIBDiving:
Oh Crud!!! I had hoped nobody would bring that up. :cussing:
I don't want a pro/con DIR debate. A short answer will suffice.

I bet I'm DIW :wink:

that when using one hand, be sure to move your hand away from the bubbles to signal most clearly. You'll avoid having to ask again if you can clearly see the fingers!

xiSkiGuy:
I don't want a pro/con DIR debate. A short answer will suffice.

i think its been already covered, but i believe, going from most DIR to least:

1. you already know (both from the gas plan *and* the borg hive mind collective)
2. you look at their SPG (don't even bother asking)
3. one-handed numbers or wetnotes

I always have my divers signal on one hand. 1300=5+5+3. I have found it to be the least confusing method for everyone. But, you have to keep in mind we are all a little bit slow in the Caribbean.

gratefuldiver2:
I always have my divers signal on one hand. 1300=5+5+3. I have found it to be the least confusing method for everyone. But, you have to keep in mind we are all a little bit slow in the Caribbean.

I use one hand, one finger (Index) per 100 psi. So 1700 would be 17 #1's :11ztongue

Don't lose count, or I'll have to start all over (make like I'm erasing a blackboard).

Can't get simpler than 1 finger, can you? Must be DIR! :crafty:

xiSkiGuy:
This is a great thread. Very informative!

Just out of curiosity: Which of the previously discussed methods is "DIR approved"?

What they taught us in Fundies was fingers up for 1-5 and sideways for 6-9

3 fingers up would mean 3000 psi (because once you drop below 500 you signal "share air", so there is no 100-400 psi signal.) - 1 finger up followed by 3 sideways would be 1800psi.

I still have to think about it though, because everyone else I dive with around here is 5+5+5 = 1500psi ... which is what I normally do as well.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
What they taught us in Fundies was fingers up for 1-5 and sideways for 6-9

3 fingers up would mean 3000 psi (because once you drop below 500 you signal "share air", so there is no 100-400 psi signal.) - 1 finger up followed by 3 sideways would be 1800psi.

I still have to think about it though, because everyone else I dive with around here is 5+5+5 = 1500psi ... which is what I normally do as well.

Aloha, Tim
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom