How do you store the housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
My new PT020 housing came in and I was snapping away underwater pix yesterday... in a bucket in my garage. Not too much life in those pix. Anyway, I'm ready for the Bahamas this coming Sunday. Also have my ebay special video setup ready as well.

One question that came to mind was how do you store the housing when not in use? I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't close it because it tends to compress the o-rings. Any truth to this? Maybe I should take the o-rings out then close it for storage?

Thanks and I hope to bring back some pix to share,
Tony

I clean & lube my O rings then place them in a plastic clipseal bag and place them inside the housing.
Also place a bag of desiccant in as well to keep things dry.
Then store in my camera case.

Yup, what John says...and take them out when you fly too:wink:

Me, too. Remove the o-ring, lube it well and place in zip-lock baggie and place baggie inside the housing with a dessicant pack.

After washing your housing i would recommend that you store your housing by have the buttons facing down to the work bench or whatever you have it sitting on. I have had about 5 Oly housings in to me in the past month the rear buttons severly corroded and needing replacement they had been washing the housing correctly but storing it sitting up right and the water was pooling and corroding the bottons in between dives. Lay it back so the water drains out of all the botton ports.

Aussie....that's something I never thought about. Great advice.

Do you service PT housings? Can you help us with the o-rings needed for all the buttons and shafts for the PT housings?

We haven't been allowed/able to get any of the shaft or bottons or o-rings out of Olympus Australia to do that - YET. Am working on it, we do service them basically a good thorough soak in warm fresh water, manually manipulate each botton, syphon the water through to wasout and extract and salt, the warm water will help to dissolve the salt.

If you do notice the greenish blue discoulouration occuring, open housing when dry of course, press botton in all the way clean the discolouration off with a nice clean soft toothbrush - if you leave a bristle behind you can't miss it - the best tool i have. Thenuse a small, minute flat head screw driver to put a couple of dabs of good quality silicon grease do not use a silicon spray as it actually dries o-rings out. Work the button around push in and out to work the silicon up and down the shaft.

We always tend to put the o-ring back in the exact way it came out - have you notice how you can see the corners of where it sat in the housing - we figure here at work if it went in like that last time and didn't flood, it good for the next dive too.

ASB

Thanks, again, for the info. I had a small bit of water weeping through the jog dial, which was a result of having the camera misaligned and the jog dial shaft was torqued. I didn't think to flush out around the buttons but apparently the long warm rinse did the trick.

I'll keep all this in mind for future use!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom