how do you wear your mask????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki:
I have never been kicked onto face, so I guess I never saw the value of putting my mask under hood :wink: My mask is on top, and in cold weather the hood edges are pulled over the skirt.
However, one point of cold-water diving and mask wearing has not been mentioned. When water is cold but weather is warmish, and you are sweating like a pig in your drysuit... you often get fogged 10x before you get yourself under even with well-prepped mask. I'd hate to be ripping my hair off fixing this issue with under-hood-mask.

P.S. I have a side of the face zipper in my add-on short Cressi, and I had my doubts but it works great. I prefer it to regular hood. There is a layer underneath, so the zip is not on your face, and the zip ends bit before the edge anyway.

That is why the last thing to happen before I submerge in warm weather is to (in this order) put on my hood, pull hood over head, put prepped mask on, pull up hood, zip hood, and put on gloves.

The quarry and lakes are 55 or so degrees year 'round at anything under 40 feet.

Both. If I'm alone or with known or experienced divers I wear it over my hood so I can easily raise or remove it. If I'm with newer divers or divers I do not know I wear it under my hood so it can't be knocked off.

I wear my mask after my hood, although I tried the other way around too.
In my latest trip, I had the incident when my mask fell off when I did my backroll. My two finger in front of the mask only could hold it to my face for a while, and blub, it went down.
Now that I can laugh at myself, I probably didn't put the neck part of the hood into the wetsuit properly, so when I did the backroll, water went in, expand my hood and forced the mask to jump out of my head.

I didn't know then. After that dive, i tried to put the mask inside the hood. Logically it's safer too because the hood can hold the mask in place in case of strong current etc.
I was optimistic with my new found and jumped into the water that way on the next dive.

But my hood is 0.5mm and very elastic, Few minutes into the dive, maybe less than that, My head was longer, strecthed vertically as if there was another head sitting on top of mine, because the bubble/water went it freely to the side, the back and on top of my head because it wasn't held by the mask.

(When I wear mymask outside the hood, the bubble/water only came into the top of my head with minimal amount, with some light pressing the bubble would come out.)

Anyway, I tried to fix it by pressing out the bubble and water as much as I could, but it was not easy to squezze out the other head! Finally, I just opened it, while all the bubble and water ran out, and let the hood hanging around my neck.

After the dive, I changed back to mask outside the hood, less problematic to me especially that I had found the cause of why my mask fell previously.

So, for me and my current hood, Mask outside the hood.

i put my hood on first and then my mask. I tuck the skirt of my mask in between my skin and the hood. Havent had problems yet.

PM-Performance:
i put my hood on first and then my mask. I tuck the skirt of my mask in between my skin and the hood. Havent had problems yet.
Thats a different way of putting what I tried to say in my post, btw :wink:

Mask first then hood, hood first then mask
No problem!

I do believe you're doing your damnedest to see this thread live. Please....PLEASE....let it die.......did I mention please?
C-Dawg

Come on guys! Did we have a thread specifically for this? The thread that never ends?

:mooner:

Back
Top Bottom