How does one get a career in recreational diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to dive, a lot. You're still at beginner level. Just go diving.

And when you're ready to do diving full time, have lots of savings available.

Oh and most dive boats will hire an instructor for a dive leader way before they'll hire a DM. Just ignore Daniel, he's not in touch :)

well, first of all is that everyone seems to be forgetting that you can't take a rescue course until you complete your efr - emergency first response course; or some other cpr and first aid course (acredited). then you can take a rescue course. then you need to have a minimum of 60 logged dives to become a divemaster.
and it isn't neccessarily true that most dive ops hire instructors before dm's. there are a lot of places that have dm's lead dives, while instructors teach, teach, teach. oh, and the dm's also aid in the classes.
however, the advice you are getting is correct. you need to dive a lot, and gain experience in several different environments before looking to take the plung (yeah i know, bad pun) into becoming a dive pro. hope this helps. if you have any other questions, pm me.

freediver:
Introducing the six step program.
Step 1: Take OW course to become diver ....and...spend money on dive gear.
Step 2: Take AOW course to further yourself as a diver....and....spend more money on dive gear.
Step 3: Take Rescue course to become competent and safe, prepared diver ...and... spend even more money on dive gear.
Step 4: Take Divemaster course to make a difference in diving for others ...and...spend some more money on dive gear.
Step 5: Take Instructor course in anticipation of making some money...and...spend a lot more money on dive gear.
Step 6: Hang around the water cooler at your real job and wonder what the heck happened to all your money.

He forgot to mention spending money on insurance starting at Step 4, then more money in Step 5 and you also get the added bonus of spending a lot of money on course materials for youself in Steps 1-5 with Step 5 being utterly ridiculous.

Go dive!! If you still want to be a pro at Dive 100, look at your options then.

Rachel <- working dive professional

Get a good bit of experience, advance to instructor or higher, then get really lucky and get a sales rep job with one of the big manufacturers, or start your own shop.

If you want to do it on instructing alone, recalibrate your ideas of a reasonable lifestyle, think about what job you will get after you can't dive any more and that you will have until you die (retirement not being an option unless you inherit or win the lottery as above) and go for it, hopefully in some beautiful location where the lack of decent money is not a big deal.
:wink:

How does some make a dollar as a scuba instructor?... Start with two dollars.

I am a scuba instructor and it is not because of the money. I also work the dive center, but I think it is like anyhthing else, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. I get to travel a lot, teach new students and when I am working the store I get to spend the day talking about diving, what can be better?

no doubt biscuit7!!!!!! step 5 is extremely ridiculous! i am in the mix of doing an idc right now, and i can't believe the cost. every time you think it's over, and then they hit you with, oh, and you need to buy a ...

aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg!!!!

Trinigordo:
Ok are there any DM's out there?

Could you guys tell me how you reached there?

No there are no divemasters out here, they can't afford the internet costs:D

Actually you stand a better chance making money in the commercial diving end of the game...geez blackwater, etc....

Paul in VT

daniel f aleman:
To lead dives you'll need to be a Divemaster, the industry standard, certified by one of the major world-wide agencies.

Nit-picking, but that is not true.

Dive agencies set standards for training - how you dive is up to you. And for certified divers, there is *no* standard saying that they have to be led by a Divemaster.

In practice, that's a different story. Virtually all dive operators use DMs to lead dives. Some of it is liability reasons. Some of it is convenience (the DM is more qualified to help divers with refreshers, etc.). Some of it is safety (DM knows, or should know at any rate, rescue, etc.).

Vandit

Trinigordo:
I have tonnes of questions for anyone that knows the answers.

But, let's just start with the first one, how do I start a career in recreational diving?

Gordo

Forget it you can't !! Career implies living off of what you earn........Buy into a Diveshop and yes then you can make a career. Or get into the commercial area of things, rigs, etc......As a "Plain Instr" I know of no one that makes what they should and they are often working two or three jobs to make ends meet !!

Trinigordo:
Ok are there any DM's out there?

Could you guys tell me how you reached there?

Well here's what I did:
1. OW and AOW together.
2. A lot of diving.
3. EFR and Rescue.
4. DM.

Don't be tricked with the gear thing. You'll always want to update your gear and get better stuff but you have to overcome these feelings. Else you'll become broke. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom