How does someone run out of air???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is easy, he was told to move with the current and we were all told to stay in the groups we were assigned, I had the buoy for our group (lucky me, oh joy). He was unreasonable to expect me to be able to swim up current to hang with him against a RIPPING current while dragging a large buoy and

As a DM in Florida told me "The guy with the buoy is never lost."

Tell the photog that you have the buoy and if he plans to re-board the boat he should probably follow you. Then drift along and enjoy.

Terry

Maybe they are "minimalist" divers and think an air gauge is an unnecessary frill - since they just know when it is time to go to the surface.

I dived for many years before the SPG was invented and ocassionally still dive without one on vintage dives and haven't yet run out of air.

I'm with the Captain ... even diving many years without an SPG, I've only "run our of air" when I decided to and knew it was going to happen.

That is easy, he was told to move with the current and we were all told to stay in the groups we were assigned, I had the buoy for our group (lucky me, oh joy). He was unreasonable to expect me to be able to swim up current to hang with him against a RIPPING current while dragging a large buoy and some 200 feet of rope. My deliberate attempt, per my instructions from the captain, to stay together, resulted in my consuming copious amounts of air as I worked hard to hold with him while he dilly dallied. You see, that was way back when I was a good little boy and cared that he might be lost if I left him, now, trust me, I would have left him to his own devices after warning one. It is a big ocean on a drift, if you are not with the flag when you surface--oh well--adios sucker, you are a grown up and you were told.

N

Still your fault. You got stuck with an idiot on a dive but you are the only one responsible to monitor your air. I wouldn't be blaming him for your oversight.

This is basically what happened with my second OOA situation with a buddy. He was responsible for the buoy during a drift dive with a bunch of people dilly dallying. Burned through his air really fast and had to share air with me until we got to the surface. It was entirely his fault and I have never heard him blame anyone else for his failure to monitor his gas supply.

Still your fault. You got stuck with an idiot on a dive but you are the only one responsible to monitor your air. I wouldn't be blaming him for your oversight.

This is basically what happened with my second OOA situation with a buddy. He was responsible for the buoy during a drift dive with a bunch of people dilly dallying. Burned through his air really fast and had to share air with me until we got to the surface. It was entirely his fault and I have never heard him blame anyone else for his failure to monitor his gas supply.

Whatever, I was also responsible for him since I had the buoy and my bigger concern was losing him, air was secondary. At that time, I could free dive that deep, so, I was not exactly worried about it. Now, I would just wave good bye as we disappear into the deep blue. You guys freak out over this air thing to much anyways, like Captain and the others, for years all I had was a J rod, 300 psi is plenty to get back from 130 feet, no problem for a high stepper. One breath is all you need.

N

Whatever, I was also responsible for him since I had the buoy and my bigger concern was losing him, air was secondary. At that time, I could free dive that deep, so, I was not exactly worried about it. Now, I would just wave good bye as we disappear into the deep blue. You guys freak out over this air thing to much anyways, like Captain and the others, for years all I had was a J rod, 300 psi is plenty to get back from 130 feet, no problem for a high stepper. One breath is all you need.

N

So some random annoying dude was higher priority to you than your own air supply? Fair enough, we have different priorities then :) Anyway, regardless of how easy it is to ascend using one breath from 130ft doesn't take away from the fact you appeared to be blaming someone else for your own oversight. Pet peeve of mine - people blaming others for their own mistakes.

So some random annoying dude was higher priority to you than your own air supply? Fair enough, we have different priorities then :) Anyway, regardless of how easy it is to ascend using one breath from 130ft doesn't take away from the fact you appeared to be blaming someone else for your own oversight. Pet peeve of mine - people blaming others for their own mistakes.

Wow, he was not random, he was my assigned buddy as a team of three. Like I said, during those days I took such things serious, leaving somebody was not acceptable to me. The good part is that after I ran out of air I remained at depth for well over another minute trying to get him to come along.

A buddy is responsible to stay with his group and the group leader which was me because I had been given the flag is responsible to keep the group together. Nowadays, since I am fat and lazy, I would just tell the skipper when he asked where my buddy was, I dunno, down there somewheres about, beats me. :rofl3:

Maybe next time a pilot looses two engines he should walk back in the cabin and announce that both engines are dead, I got three chutes and me and the copilot got one each, hey y'all, 156 passengers, y'all get to rassle over this one, see y'all!!!!!!!!!!!:shakehead:

N

I'm with Nemrod on this one, anyone want's my air, any time, any place, any gear ... they're welcome to it. With a smile.

Wow, he was not random, he was my assigned buddy as a team of three. Like I said, during those days I took such things serious, leaving somebody was not acceptable to me. The good part is that after I ran out of air I remained at depth for well over another minute trying to get him to come along.

I have been paired with plenty of random people on boats. I would be far less likely to chase them around than a regular trusted buddy. That was my point. I would stick with someone until my own safety was comprimised, and that would be before I went OOA :wink:

A buddy is responsible to stay with his group and the group leader which was me because I had been given the flag is responsible to keep the group together. Nowadays, since I am fat and lazy, I would just tell the skipper when he asked where my buddy was, I dunno, down there somewheres about, beats me. :rofl3:

I see the responsibility of a buddy as making a plan and sticking to it. If someone violates the plan we have made, well then I can do what I want in response. My response would be to do as much as I could to help them but not run OOA just to help them out. As I said before, fair enough, our priorities are different. However, you deciding you needed to chase this guy around until you ran out of air is *your* decision you need to be responsible for, not his. It seemed as if you were putting the blame on him for you running OOA, which is just silly.

Maybe next time a pilot looses two engines he should walk back in the cabin and announce that both engines are dead, I got three chutes and me and the copilot got one each, hey y'all, 156 passengers, y'all get to rassle over this one, see y'all!!!!!!!!!!!:shakehead:

What does that have to do with the situation you have described?

I'm with Nemrod on this one, anyone want's my air, any time, any place, any gear ... they're welcome to it. With a smile.

Actually Nemrod was OOA, so not sure how he could provide air to others. I don't see how your comment is relevant to this situation Thalassamania.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom