How easy to remove/replace pony valves when traveling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

For solo diving, a redundant air system is recommended. For our local quarry, I've got a 30 cf pony with a 'button gauge' SPG and Sherwood SR1 regulator I clip to my BCD's D-rings. Works okay, though hangs off more than I'd like. May work on that this summer.

I'd like to take a solo trip to Bonaire. That'd mean either renting a pony bottle there, or taking a pony or Spare Air (3 cf version) with me. I tend to like having my own stuff. Thing is, to fly, the tank needs to have the valve off. So I'd be taking the valve off, and replacing it there. With a Spare Air, you can get it with a gadget that lets you fill from a tank. That would be sweet. I assume with a pony, you've got to convince the dive shop to fill it for you?

My main question is, just how easy is it to get the valve off of, oh, say, a 13 cf AL pony bottle? And to get it back on? These things are designed to handle 3,000 PSI pressures; I'd think it might be difficulty, and I am far from 'handy.'

Did some searching on the forum before posting. Plenty about the necessity to have the valve off to board a plane, but nothing I found about how hard getting it off & back on well is.

Thanks.

Richard.

Or just use a free pony from the dive op? Divi has a bunch sitting on the dock.

You need a pretty big wrench and some way to hold the tank. IIRC the correct torque for Ali tanks is 75 ft/lbs, more than most people put them in with but they can actually unscrew if only done hand tight.

By the time all your other gear is in your bag, plus the pony, plus a wrench I imagine you might have a bag weight issue. Borrowing or renting is way easy and it'll be filled without question too.

You need a pretty big wrench and some way to hold the tank. IIRC the correct torque for Ali tanks is 75 ft/lbs, more than most people put them in with but they can actually unscrew if only done hand tight.

By the time all your other gear is in your bag, plus the pony, plus a wrench I imagine you might have a bag weight issue. Borrowing or renting is way easy and it'll be filled without question too.

Thats a bit much torque. off the catalina site:

1. Hand tightening of the valve should seat the valve completely on the cylinder (i.e. no gap between the valve and the cylinder). If there is still a gap between the valve and the bottom of the cylinder lightly tap the valve handle with a rawhide or rubber mallet to seat the valve completely. The valve should only rotate 45o (1/8 of a turn) from the point of hand tightening to fully seated. If you decide to seat the valve using a torque wrench, following are recommended torque values by Catalina Cylinders and the CGA:

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]
    Thread Designation
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Catalina Cylinders
    Recommended Torque
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Catalina Cylinders
    Maximum Torque
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica].750 - 16 UNF[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]40 lbf-ft[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]50 lbf-ft[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]� - 14 NGS (NPSM)[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]40 lbf-ft[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]50 lbf-ft

[/FONT]

My main question is, just how easy is it to get the valve off of, oh, say, a 13 cf AL pony bottle? And to get it back on? These things are designed to handle 3,000 PSI pressures; I'd think it might be difficulty, and I am far from 'handy.'

It should spin right off when drained unless it's corroded or someone wrenched it on. It's an o-ring seal (like on LP hoses), not tapered threads like pipe.

You can bang the side by the knob with the heel of your hand to get it started, but if it needs more than that, it probably need service or you need a new tank service place. :cool:

Thanks, guys. Sounds like more drama than I need! I am a pretty hands off kind'a guy.

Wonder if the Spare Air is easier?

Richard.

Richard,

We rented a pony bottle from Dive Friends one trip, air was of course included. Never used so didn't need refills. I think it was a 30 cf. and had a yoke valve. Last trip looked into taking our own 13 but didn't have the luggage weight to spare so rented a 13 cf from Walt at Rec Tek Rec Tek Scuba Bonaire - We do it silent. We do it deep. Techincal diving.. It had a convertible valve so we were able to use the DIN without an adaptor. Both bottles were already rigged to sling.

A 4 to 5 inch 2x2 piece off wood and a rubber mallet works in removing and replacing the tank valve. Be sure to remove on/off knob, the hp seat inside the valve and the big bolt which keeps it together. After removing the hp seat and screw back in the nut to prevent the area with the thread from being deformed. Then place the piece of wood on to that part and a few light taps with the mallet should cause it to loosen.

I take my 13cf pony on every trip. The valve is hand tight and unscrews easily once the tank is empty. I either breathe it down on the last dive before a trip or use it up to check/confirm my SAC. Once there I simply screw the valve in and get it filled. Having it in my checked bag doesn't create a weight issue - then again I'm not a clothes horse. A couple of T's and a zip off pair of pants and a supply of undertrou do me just fine. I always buy a flashy Hawian (sp?) shirt on island for dress up. LOL The rest of the weight is equipment. I like (obsessive) to keep my kit the same on every dive so having my own equipment is essential - I dive solo and want nothing the least bit unfamiliar.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2014 at 09:52 AM ----------

A 4 to 5 inch 2x2 piece off wood and a rubber mallet works in removing and replacing the tank valve. Be sure to remove on/off knob, the hp seat inside the valve and the big bolt which keeps it together. After removing the hp seat and screw back in the nut to prevent the area with the thread from being deformed. Then place the piece of wood on to that part and a few light taps with the mallet should cause it to loosen.

He's not talking about disassembling the valve. WTF. All you have to do is unscrew the valve from the tank and screw it back in.

You need a pretty big wrench and some way to hold the tank. IIRC the correct torque for Ali tanks is 75 ft/lbs,

..yeah that would be for CGA type valves (a few scuba ones left, but for sure all other gas valves ie O2, N2, H2, Argon etc etc), not the ORB style that we find ubiquitous in scuba/scba these days...

Hand tight, maybe a gentle tap with a rubber mallet (emphasis on gentle) is all with ORB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom