How far do you drive to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well living on an Island I drive anywhere from less than 1 mile away, or as much as 175 miles away(off the island). I have a site that I frequent that is about 25 minutes away. I do have the availability of dive sites in a close distance, but the drawback is that the water temperature can be a bit cold, and the visibility isn't always the greatest.

I now have a drysuit so the cold doesn't bother me, and I actually enjoy the little bit of visibility we do have.

I consider myself lucky.
39 miles to Blue Stone
63 miles to Norman Quarry + LDS 4 miles and open Sunday
52 miles to Granite Quarry
90 miles to Blanch Quarry
25 miles to Belew Lake
3 good LDS within 30 miles
And of course anywhere on the coast in 4-6 hours.

Now,if it would just warm up.................................

10 min to LDS
3+ hours to Pensacola.

Scuba addiction can have you doing the impossible.

I once drove 1 hour to work, 1 hour home from work, Coached two soccer games, left home at 6:30 and arrived in Gulf shores at 9:30PM, made one night dive, drove three hours back home, slept for two hours and then had to get up and coach two more soccer games. Then I realized that I am not 18 anymore.

How far do you drive to dive?

I usually stop just short of the water's edge. Never saw any value in driving much further than that.

About six lakes/quarries within three hours (none closer than 1.5 hour), but several times a year my buddies and I drive 5-7 hours to get to other springs/rivers/lakes that are a bit farther. Closest ocean is 8 hours from my doorstep, but then it takes another 7 hours by boat to get to favorite dive sites (Flower Gardens). Yet Cozumel is only about 5 hours away (three to the airport and about two for the plane trip.

All worth it.

one of my favorite freshwater spots in about 30 mins (and about 5 from my dive shop). for the ocean, ive gone 4 hours (central connecticut, to cape ann Mass.) my usual dive site is about 2 hours one way in jamestown RI. im yet to find an actually good salt water dive site in CT but i cant wait to find a decent beach about 45 mins away.

Dive boat closest to my home is about a ten minute drive. The longest ride we have is up to cave diving country, about six hours away.

Closest dive shop/fill station is Fill Express, only about 4 miles away.

How lucky can a girl get? :D

LDS about 10 mins. Diving, 1-2 hours (laguna about an hour, palos verdes about 1 1/2 hours and la jolla about 2 hours.)

Closest shop is about 10mins drive. There are local dive sites from 20mins to 1.5hours drive. The 1.5hr dive sites are better. On work nights I won't travel further than 1hr though but weekend I always travel to the further sites.

But I'd easily drive longer than that. It's 5.5hrs drive to the local caves and I have trips planned in March and April so far. And next Fri I am driving a 2700km round trip to dive :)

1 hr to 2 of the Finger Lakes. 2ish to a different 2. 2 1/2 to dutch springs. 3 hrs to the St Lawrence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom