How fast do U descend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCIREVAM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was told that I decend 2 fast. How slow or how fast is right? When I decend I equalize ok every once in awhile I have 2 go up and get the pressure off than I decend to 65'. I am a new diver and have been criticized!!!!!!!

As fast as I can...lol......there's more one bottom(reef) usually than in the water column.......

KCIREVAM:
I was told that I decend 2 fast. How slow or how fast is right? When I decend I equalize ok every once in awhile I have 2 go up and get the pressure off than I decend to 65'. I am a new diver and have been criticized!!!!!!!

I thought the rule was one breath on the surface, the next at the bottom?

Yeah, I descend as fast as my partner and me can equalize our ears. Why waste air in the middle of the water when all the good stuff is down deep?

The only time when this is a problem is when diving a little deeper...I believe narcosis can be brought upon sooner with a quicker descent.

Cheers.

-J.-

The maximum recommended descent rate is 75 feet per minute. There are some times one might want to exceed this rate, such as tying off to a wreck in a strong current.

My descent is generally based on my buddies. If I am descending on a shallow reef with good vis, I descend as fast as I please, and keep an eye on my buddy's progress. If I'm in a lower vis situation, or descending to a depth where I may not be able to see my buddy beyond X feet, I descend at a speed that allows me to keep my buddy in view.

If you are descending so fast that you can not equalize, than I agree, you are descending too fast. You should not have to go back up to equalize, but if you can not equalize at a depth, then by all means ascend until you can. That is not the optimal way to go about things. I can count the number of times I've had to go back up to equalize on one hand with a few digits missing! :D

If your buddy is the one saying you descend to fast it may be because he/she can't keep up with you due to their own clearing issues. You should descend at the same speed as your buddy and keep an eye on each other to make sure there are no problems. Diving injuries seem to happen when buddies get separated on descent and ascent, check the Accidents and Incidents forum and look for the trend. Some people are fine with a fast descent, others take a lot of time and usually their speed has to do with how easily they can clear.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom