How happy are you with today's level of Diver Education?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say it's less the training, and more the type of students the agencies are trying to attract. What do you do when all of the die-hard, strong swimming, apnea diving customers already have all the certifications they want? Go for the 'hey, that would be neat to try', 'I can make it across the pool and back', 'I got water up my nose' customers. </rant>

So are you saying that today's divers are competent to look after themselves and their buddy in open-water? Just looking for clarification. :)

This is a whole other can-o-worms, but at least some of what many have observed might be culturally systemic and not just a product of current training agencies, instructors, etc. I'm a professional educator (teacher) and have been one for over 30 years. In that time I've seen a remarkable difference in the abilities and expectations of my "clientele" (students). Generally, students today, while having access to awesome advances in technology and techniques, tend to have a harder time progressing as rapidly or with as much depth as students three decades ago. Do I know why? I can only offer conjecture that is not germane to this discussion, but the fact remains that it's observable.

Therefore, to me, it's not outlandish that the same trend could be observed in diving instruction even without taking into consideration the changes made in the instruction infrastrucure within various training agencies. Some of it is inherent to the culture.

packman:
I'd say on average today's freshly minted AOW diver is equivalent to yesterday's freshly minted BOW diver.

Not even close. The skills taken from the entry level class are never taught.

Each of us may have been at dive sites, or on charter boats where other divers are present. Perhaps some of us have been "buddied-up" with strangers.

How competent (in your opinion) are today's new divers?

When I was in OW the main goal was to make sure you don’t kill yourself. Like someone stated before OW is just a stepping stone. You can continue your education, which in my opinion someone should, even if they only plan to dive a couple of time a year.

Fortunately my instructors were very thorough and taught use things that were not required by the standards of the agency.

The people who see/dive with incompetent divers what exactly do they do? Are they going to kill themselves/you? Or, do they not have their skills finely tuned??

I am very new to diving and admit don’t know that much*

and if the conditions are dissimilar or worse....then what is the OW card???

With any luck the instructor also covered the fine art of deciding that a nice local beer and a great burger is sometimes a better choice than bad dive.

Terry

The people who see/dive with incompetent divers what exactly do they do? Are they going to kill themselves/you? Or, do they not have their skills finely tuned??

Perhaps Walter has said it best: "Many aren't competent to be out of the pool."

My question pertains to the average diver, although inexperienced (as we all were at some point), are they capable (from the training that they have received) to safely look after themselves and their buddy in open-water, without the supervision of a DM or Instructor?

If this is not the case, would it be beneficial to lengthen (or shorten) the training programs? If they are competent to do this; you've already answer the question. :)

So are you saying that today's divers are competent to look after themselves and their buddy in open-water? Just looking for clarification. :)

NO! I hold the position that many divers certified today are barely able to keep the regulator in their mouths. There are probably many who are ready to start diving, but I'd say a good deal of them will never reach 20 dives (outside of whatever trip they were preparing for). They're looking for the card, not the skills, in order to reach their goal.

DCBC:
My question pertains to the average diver, although inexperienced (as we all were at some point), are they capable (from the training that they have received) to safely look after themselves and their buddy in open-water, without the supervision of a DM or Instructor?

It seems to me that for the vast majority the answer is no. There are some exceptions.

DCBC:
If this is not the case, would it be beneficial to lengthen (or shorten) the training programs?

The course needs to be longer and skills need to be added.

I am very new to diving and admit don’t know that much*

You know enough to ask a question! :D

From what I've seen in o/w charter and local shore dives - it is a combination of lack of fine tuned skills and the potential to harm themselves/others. One can be related to the other.

Fine tuning skills takes time and effort. Some divers don't put forth either, and some courses/instructors don't push the time and effort. Get wet, get it over with, and move on to the next class. Some divers are like that as well.

If this is not the case, would it be beneficial to lengthen (or shorten) the training programs? If they are competent to do this; you've already answer the question. :)

I'd like to see a FIFTH (and maybe even SIXTH) open water dive introduced into the scheme, where the student and his buddy actually plan and execute a dive with the instructor simply watching/supervising. Right now for OW dives 1-4 the student is essentially doing four "trust me dives" with the instructor leading. Really no way to know if the student is capable of planning and executing a dive WITHOUT an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom