How important is it to buy from an Authorized Dealer? Is Warrenty Necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone! Just wondering, if you can buy a computer for a lot less from an unauthorized dealer but it won't include a 2-year full coverage warranty, is that a good choice? What's the record on most computers, especially Oceanic, of breaking before two years? Is it a worry that the unauthorized dealer would have tampered with it and it would be unsafe? Thanks!

Flip a coin. Personally I wouldn't do it with a computer.

I did it, my computer needed to be replaced, send it back to that dealer, who in turn, send it to the manufacturer. Will keep you posted....... heard good things about these guys.

http://www.scubastore.com/eng/index.asp

You will find some authorized dealers that will match anyones price and give you a full US warranty. Is the warranty mandatory?? No... it's insurance. The odds yours will break in the first couple years... Maybe not great... a few percent. The odds there is a recall on it? Again couple percent. So if that kicks it up to maybe a 4 or 5% chance you might need a warranty... and it costs the same... why not just get it through a place that's authorized?

I bought my first computer from an authorized dealer, it did need warrenty work within first year. It took over 7 weeks to get it back.

I had to buy another one to use during that time period so I could keep diving.

Now my authorized dealer is out of business, and manufactorer wont take it back except through authorized dealer. Another authorized dealer wont handle it without original receipt, which I have misplaced.

I could have bought two of the same computer through LP for price I paid for one authorized. And LP has their own warrenty, which from what I hear is quick and painless.

The second computer I did get from ScubaToys, so it has the best of both, great price and warrenty. The first computer will be on ebay.

Austin:
Hey everyone! Just wondering, if you can buy a computer for a lot less from an unauthorized dealer but it won't include a 2-year full coverage warranty, is that a good choice? What's the record on most computers, especially Oceanic, of breaking before two years? Is it a worry that the unauthorized dealer would have tampered with it and it would be unsafe? Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about unauthorized dealer tampering--or for that matter even authorized dealer tampering. But, a computer is positively the LAST item of equipment I would buy without a warranty.

My wife is still using my old (circa 1990) Aladin Pro which is on its 4th battery--about 1200 dives--and has never missed a beat. I, on the other hand, have had 3 hockey puck computers (US DIvers, Sherwood, Sherwood) die in the last 6 years. I am now using a Vyper which has had 103 dives in the past year (I don't dive nearly as much as I did before I moved here) and has been fine so far. But, I'm still glad I have another year of warranty.

scubatoys:
The odds there is a recall on it? Again couple percent. So if that kicks it up to maybe a 4 or 5% chance you might need a warranty... and it costs the same... why not just get it through a place that's authorized?

I don't believe the source of the item matters in the event of a recall. Such an action is safety related and not dependent on warrenty except perhaps as one means of notifying owners.

A good warrenty can save you some hassle and inconvience. You have to decide if the cost of that warrenty is worth it. FWIW, I don't worry about it.

MY wife and I have the Oceanic ProPlus2. We both have the warranty on them and mine decided to freeze up and reset on one of my surface intervals. I brought the computer back to my LDS for warranty/repair. Within a couple of days, i was given a brand new (in box) ProPlus2 from Oceanic. The fast turn around time caught me by surprise but thankfully Oceanic is local (SF Bay area) so that may explain the service. I usually get warranty b/c I have had problems with products in the past that have been fixed by the manufacturer. Purchasing from an authorized dealer (usually your LDS) allows you to put a face to any problems that you may have with your equipment. Like anything though, it really comes down to what acceptable risk you are comfortable with.

Thanks for all the great reply's! Great info! I'm wondering, if you can get say, $350 off of a $1000 computer, and your POSITIVE it hasn't been tampered with, would the warrenty offset the cost. Are there any statistics of fail rates? I'd love to hear more stories like the ones you all have shared! Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom