How is the new Mexico rule about accepting dollars affecting people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using pesos is actually less expensive than dollars as the "official" exchange rate is around 12 to 1 rather than the 10 to 1 which is used for computational ease on the fly.

This may be inconvenient for travelers when they want to buy something for $130. But, imaging trying to use or exchange $100,000. We will see if it works.

I just returned from a 4 day trip to Cozumel, and as Christie said, didn't run into anyone not accepting USD, from the pharmacies, to the resturants, to the dive ops to the vendors. Even for purchases over $100.

The only issue I ran into was when I had received a US $10 change that was then refused by my taxi driver as it had a small tear in the bottom of the bill and he couldn't make change for a US $20 either. Eventually we came up with enough singles to keep the driver happy. Spent the same bill a day later with no problems.

judydivescoz - Quick question as we will be there in 11 days! Where is the branch on 10? By your post I assume this is a Santander ATM also. Thanks for any info you can give!

I remember a while back when the new format of dollar bills came out. It was the only currency my friend had with her. They thought it was counterfeit!

Since I will be in Cozumel beginning Nov 4, I decided to email my dive OP yesterday to ask if paying in US Dollars was acceptable to pay the dive bill. The reply was with the following:
"...no problem everybody takes dollars except the Bank.
don´t worry - cash, its very good American green money...".

I remember a while back when the new format of dollar bills came out. It was the only currency my friend had with her. They thought it was counterfeit!
Funny lookin' money! :silly: The $2 bill is okay, but the dollar coins may be a problem. No one carries them of course, since the US still has not retired the Washington.
Since I will be in Cozumel beginning Nov 4, I decided to email my dive OP yesterday to ask if paying in US Dollars was acceptable to pay the dive bill. The reply was with the following:
"...no problem everybody takes dollars except the Bank.
don´t worry - cash, its very good American green money...".
I emailed Scuba Mau. He said bring all of the USD you want. :eyebrow:

judydivescoz - Quick question as we will be there in 11 days! Where is the branch on 10? By your post I assume this is a Santander ATM also. Thanks for any info you can give!

You assume correctly, its just before the part of 10 that backs up to the square. Look for the red Santander Bank sign.Enjoy your trip!!

Much of the drug related crime in Mexico is financed by USD.

If the US gave up on the war on drugs, long ago lost anyway, they'd have to go back to the farm. Experienced has proven that making recreational drugs unlawful only raises the prices as the users will still want them no matter what. Also encourages much of the crime in the US.

If the U.S. really wanted to put a dent in the drug war, the government would change the paper currency, and require everyone to trade the old notes for the new ones.

If the U.S. really wanted to put a dent in the drug war, the government would change the paper currency, and require everyone to trade the old notes for the new ones.
Band aid for an severed artery? Very temporary. Sorry, don't want to hijack the discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom