How long before flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All depends on the profile and if one dove the day prior. Me, I like 24 hrs or when my computer sez gearup!

24hrs even after just one shallow dive, there is nothing to gain but plenty to lose.
My health is far more important than anything else.

In addition, it matters whether you are flying to another sea level location or to altitude, for example Denver. You might want longer than 24h. And all these studies and recommendations are for recreational dives, not deco dives.

Last edited:
For years, I have made frequent trips to Florida for 7-10 days of rather intense diving. I have always followed the DAN recommendations and waited at least 18 hours before flying back to Philadelphia. Due to flight times, my interval is often closer to 24 hours.

I would consider changing my practice if the recommendations changed. Many divers have been successfully following these guidelines since they were developed in the 2002 DAN workshop. The new information is interesting, but has not altered recommendations. It is conservative to wait as long as practical before flying after diving.

Minimum 24 hours and my computer clears always.
I have been diving Oceanic computers since 2002. There is a 24 hour time to fly countdown and the dive sequence resets to zero at the same time. There is also a desaturation timer. It is usually less than 24 hours but can be considerably greater following a particularly intense sequence of dives. Though I am unsure about the desaturation calculation, I try to have it expire before flying.

My backup computer is a different brand, Dive Right Nitek Q. Its desaturation calculation is significantly longer than Oceanic's. Anybody know more about these calculations? Does anyone use them?

The Nitek Q will be using Buhlmann ZHL-16 for its deco calculations so I assume the same for the desat calculations.

The Nitek Q will be using Buhlmann ZHL-16 for its deco calculations so I assume the same for the desat calculations.
Funny that the Q's desat is always much longer than my VT3. Not sure it matters, but I run the Q at GFs that reasonably approximate DSAT.

Does anyone use the desat calculation for anything? Like flying?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom