How long do wetsuits last in storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FengShui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have wetsuits for my wife and I that have been sitting in storage (folded carefully, in the dark, temperature stable, etc.) for the last decade or so while we had kids. Before that, we dove in them regularly over a few years. I recently pulled out the suits as my kids are getting old enough to consider diving. Are those suits till usable? On initial inspection, they seem unchanged from when I put them away. I see lots of guides about suits wearing out from stretching due to frequent use, or tearing, but little about stored suits. Do I need to get a new suit, or will my old suit work just as well as when I packed it away?

Well, they are at least a decade old technology.
Is your body the same size as it was a decade ago? I know mine isn't.
There is some natural degradation simply because the rubbers age even when stored nicely.

Are they still usable? Yes. Are they as good as when they were brand new? No. But that doesn't really matter. If they are as good as you describe, they are probably still 98% as good as they were. As you use them they will likely age quicker. Exercising those rubbers that have aged will break them down faster. If they would have lasted you 5 years of normal diving, you may get 3 years out of them.

Go ahead and use them. No reason to not do so. Unless you need something that fits your new body shape a little better. Or you want some of the newer materials that stretch better. Or you just don't like the style. But there is no reason to just toss them automatically because they are just 10 years old.

I'd say broncobowsher answered the question pretty well.

I would also say that the materials have improved a *lot* in the last 10 years, so in the interest of maximum comfort you might take a look.

Hope that helps!
Derek & JMJ

Im wearing 20 year old wetsuits that still look brand new

Wow!

I only get about 1 year (2 if I'm lucky) out of a wetsuit. After about 200hr its f'ed and I have tried them all. Forth Element, Waterproof, Henderson, Probe, Scubapro, Mares, etc. only ones that last a little longer are O'Three suits out of the UK.

Wow!

I only get about 1 year (2 if I'm lucky) out of a wetsuit. After about 200hr its f'ed and I have tried them all. Forth Element, Waterproof, Henderson, Probe, Scubapro, Mares, etc. only ones that last a little longer are O'Three suits out of the UK.
I should have added, i have two identical suits that were in storage for that length of time. One ive been diving for two years and about 85 dives, the other one is still like new and hanging in my shop

I've got stuff from 20yrs ago both good-not good depends on the neoprene
and because they're hanging NOT folded

If the suit fits, wear it.

I have a 10 year 7mil I still wear when I dive wet. Still works.. knees could use some some love but the dont leak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom