How long do you wait to shore dive after a rainfall?

How long do you wait after the rain stops before shore diving?

• I don't have a rule that I follow

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don't wait at all

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • 1 day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 days

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • 3-4 days

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • 5+ days

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there is a difference here between fresh water, saltwater shore, and saltwater boat diving in the rain. I dive primarily boat sea dives. Rain, as long as it does not make it hard for the boat to go out, is not a big issue. But it may be different for shore divers for the surf conditions with the wind that may accompany rain. Fresh water is not my thing, and I have much to learn about rain conditions. Interesting.

I live too close to the LA River to get in the water right after a good rain. Each day when I drive to work I see all the yuck running down the river into the ocean. I'd gladly boat dive way off shore or on Catalina. I'd probably even dive somewhere like Monterey, or other less populated location, after the rain but not here in LA. We just have so much accumulated yuck! It's just not healthy.
Regarding viz, some of the best ocean dives I've ever done were in the rain. Shore is different. Give it a few days for the yuck to clear out.

What's that Leslie? Sundiver Express on the 24th?

I just avoid the ocean after the first rain. Most of the built up road gunk and garbage gets washed out in the first 48 hours. Should be pretty good to go now anytime rain or shine as soon as the ocean settles down... This is normal weather for many other places.... Just avoid the rivers where they empty into the ocean as they continue to bring mud and stuff from inland.

Dwayne

Dwayne - your signature is missing Spare Air.

depends...depends....depends...

Depends on where you are (PV versus Catalina)...Catalina don't need to wait...dive while it pours...beautiful as was this past Saturday.

Depends how if it's the 1st rain, versus the 30th...

Depends on how heavy the rain is...

But...3-6 days...you're just not an avid diver...

I have special circumstances living out here on Catalina Island. Unlike on the mainland, rains generally do not contribute any health hazard to our nearshore waters thanks to limited development along our coastline. The only reason I'd postpone diving after a rain (or even during it) is if it created low visibility conditions... or I didn't have enough $$$ in my piggy bank to pay for an air fill! Some of my best dives have been under overcast conditions including rain events.

I was surprised to hear that vis was up to 45 feet last Saturday after a heavy rain the previous day so you never can tell.

I used to sail small boats a lot, and saw a lot of crap wash out in to the water after storms. The worst I ever saw was in the south bay after it rained and the Hyperion sewage treatment plant couldn't keep up and just started discharging raw sewage.

A lot of factors determine how long I wait until after getting in the water, at least for me: how long it's been since the last major rainfall (first big rain always washes a lot of crap, literally, into the water), whether there are canyons or just flat areas onshore and up current from where you are in the water, whether it's city or rural / agricultural, and what the swell and tide conditions are like. Rocky coastlines are a lot better than dirt, and coastal landslides are bad. I always err on the side of not being one of the first ones into the water after it rains

When we're in the tropics, where it rains all the time, it doesn't matter nearly as much how long you wait compared to so cal

Semi-related anecdote: I once went to Dominican Republic for a diving holiday when they has seriously heavy tropical rain for several days. You jumped off the boat into really cold, brown water, then dropped down a few feet into crystal clear warm blue water. Bit gloomier than usual in the Caribbean, but otherwise great.

Im susceptible to sinus issues so avoid diving during rain or a few days after. My sinus will usually clear up but the two i got after diving day after heavy rain, took 9 months and 4 months, respectively, to clear up so i dont tempt it.

Back
Top Bottom