How long is a diver a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the great things about diving is that it has so many different aspects, you can keep yourself busy learning for a long, long time . . . Technique (perfecting buoyancy control is a ongoing process), theory (nobody agrees on much of anything related to decompression), marine life, equipment, specialized areas like tech or cave -- you never run out of things to explore!

The other thing to remember is that acquiring greater diving skills and experience is a journey and not a destination. Personally, I am not looking forward to the end of the journey - I intend to enjoy the ride...

Depends on who you are.

If you are a middle income earner, than your no longer a newbie after your broke.

If you make a lot of money, than you probably have other hobbies too and will always be a newbie, unless you buy a diveboat.

If you started off broke, then you will have to labor as a divemaster for the rest of your life and that makes you a pee on.

So, it's all about who you are.

I'm a pee on.

Based on my experience, probably until you've been diving 40 years or so. I didn't get "really good" at it until I had passed that mark. Hopefully by the end of my 50th year of diving I'll have enough confidence to consider more advanced training!

My dives have been almost equally split between tropic-warm water-good viz, and cold water-low viz dives. I started to not feel like a noob in the tropics around tropical dive #32 (total dive #69) and not like a noob in cold water at cold water dive #72 (total dive #150). Part of me thinks I may always feel a little bit of a noob, which is one reason to keep diving, always something different to see and learn.

I'm no longer a newbie right? I have 51 dives logged. NOT! Then the impossible happens.

Dives:

#52 regulator freezes
#62 buzzed by a sealion
#70 caught in kelp
#81 stung by jellyfish
#90 mask strap busts
#100 surface 200 yards from boat
#110 caught in strong current

And possibly the best
#150 arrive to Monterey ready to dive without dive computer

New experiences shape us and make better divers...

Dive Safely...

I'm no longer a newbie right? I have 51 dives logged. NOT! Then the impossible happens.

Dives:

#52 regulator freezes
#62 buzzed by a sealion
#70 caught in kelp
#81 stung by jellyfish
#90 mask strap busts
#100 surface 200 yards from boat
#110 caught in strong current

And possibly the best
#150 arrive to Monterey ready to dive without dive computer

New experiences shape us and make better divers...

Dive Safely...

Just like Mike... I agree - even though I'm over 2000 dives... I still run into new situations never before encountered... and because of this... technically - new situations = newbie at that particular moment in time.

The real question is at what point will you become comfortable with jumping into the unknown - and that is different for everyone.

I think the real definition of when being a "newbie" as it relates to starting your diving career - comes to an end can be found in a combination of the things below:

1.When you are relaxed and comfortable prior to your dive. When you can sit on the boat and chat with others before the dive without feeling anxious or fiddling with your gear over and over.
2.When you know how much weight to wear given any situation.
3.When you feel confident in your ability to self assist or buddy assist without hesitation, apprehension or anxiety.
4.When your first log book is filled up and you start thinking "there is really no reason to keep logging these things."
5.When everyone around you wants to dive with you and you're not sure why (they know.)

I'm sure there are some other great ones as well... but the final answer is...

Who Cares if you're a newbie or not... We're all just humans out of our element.

Merry Christmas and Happy Diving!

Even with rescue, I didnt quit thinking of myself as a newbie till about 30 or 40 dives (about when I quit apologizing for my lack of experience) and I still am very consious of the fact I dont have expereance
... I just feel I dive well enough to not have to apologize for it :wink:

Training? Learning? .. I love how my instructor pushes me .. learning is hard, but fun, and the reward is a more confident and better diver

When you don't have to ask "am I a newbie?"

10 years 300 +/- dives and everyonce in a while I find myself asking. I can't add much to this conversation as all the good answers have been made. Because there is so much out there, almost every dive could be a 1st dive. !st boat, 1st deep, 1st night, 1st incident I needed to work through, 1st as dive leader, 1st Fill in the blank dive....

Newbies are great, if you scare them off you will get a reputation as an **********, work with them and help 'em along, you just might learn a thing or two about your diving and make a dive buddy to boot....

Welcome to the sport, enjoy

Back
Top Bottom