How long should a reg last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How long should a scuba regulator last? Good Question ...... some divers like myself have regulators over 20 years old that have been well maintained. Other divers feel they should trade in and get a new one every few years. I feel that it you purchase a "great" regulator from a reliable source then why change if it not giving you any trouble. I own a ScubaPro MK 10 that DA Aquamaster serviced last year and called it the "best looking MK10 he's seen in many years". I also own a Mares Abyss that I received thru the Dacor/Mares trade in program due the the company stopping part production on all DACOR regulators made before 2000. I hate to admit that I now really love to use the Abyss over the classic Scubapro and hope I'll get as good of service out of it as with the Mk10.

For what it's worth, I've been diving the same US Divers Conshelf Supreme (I think that's what it's called) for close to 20 years now. I have it rebuilt every couple of years, take very good care of it, and wouldn't trade it away for anything (it's super easy to rebuild and parts are available everywhere).

I did, however, buy a mares proton for my gf a couple of years ago and have put about 50 dives on it and while i will tell you that i'm not crazy about the asthetics it sure delivers a lot more air than my us divers rig does and subsequently my sac rate is way down because of it.

But i'll still never get rid of the us divers rig! hope this helps.

I was diving with my Scubapro Mark I (from the late 60's) until someone on a dive boat looked at my equipment and asked "Just how old IS your stuff?". Well, it was well maintained and working well, but I decided to upgrade anyway. That was about 8 years ago. I still have my Scubapro Mark VII too.

I've got a set of Dacors which were made in the early 70's which are like new. I keep them for a spare set.

I have an early 60's DA Aquamaster double hose that is becoming my favorite reg..granted it does have a lot of modern mods and upgrades to it but to answer your question, as long as you can get parts (factory or otherwise) and you or a tech does not do something stupid to it, it will pretty much last forever. Newer models may or may not breath better but that is a differnet issue.

Regs should last much longer than us. I have an Aqua Lung Over Pressure that's older than I am.

I've got a 10 year old Dacor, but it is starting to have some problems. I haven't been able to get it proffesionally serviced in a couple of years as no one wants to touch it now.

I've bought a Sherwood Brut as a temporary replacement, and plan on getting a top of the line model soon, but I hate to give up the Dacor.

Anybody know where I can get my hands on a service manual? If I screw the reg up, well I can't really dive it now...

Go to Ebay and put in DACOR under "Scuba and Snorkeling". Lots of stuff there. I've bought cheap a dozen of so old Dacor regs on there which are like new along with rebuild kits for all of them. Nothing to rebuilding and adjusting one either. There's a guy who regularly sells instruction manuals for Dacors too.

I've been diving the same US Divers Conshelf XIV's for over 30 years and keep them in great shape. To recreational depths I'll still choose them over any new regs. I believe the key is buying tested and tried good equipment (avoiding gear with cosmetic gagetry) ...dive it regularly ... and keep it in great shape!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom