How long should it take for a quote?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed that too but didn’t say anything. I did a lot of research before ordering mine and noticed the prices did not vary that much. All he needed to do was contact a dealer by phone. There was some difference in price but nothing that would cause me to order one from a shop farther away then my LDS. Now I just need for the suit to come in; it’s going on 9 weeks and I am ready to start diving again. Oh well, the dive season will be longer when it arrives. I also must agree with a post above, from the different suits I looked at USIA impressed me. I was unable to look at the suit I ordered (Techniflex) but all of the other models impressed me by their quality and options for the price.

gomi_otaku:
Odd that someone who just joined Scubaboard would go the the Manufacturer section and post in the area of the Manufacturer that he didn't go with...on one of his first 4 posts to the board.
gomi_

I don't think it's odd. I had been lurking on Scubaboard for some time and in fact, my original intention of buying a USIA suit was based on what I read on this and other threads. Yes, I checked back here after purchasing another brand - and interestingly enough ... I see other people are not getting a response either. Why even have that cool "build your own suit" on their website? I spent alot of time researching thier products / trying to locate a nearby dealer - how dificult is it to just send a quick email - "Thanks for your interest in our products... here's a brochure..."?

BTW - I'm up to 9 posts now...

Gulper:
I don't think it's odd. I had been lurking on Scubaboard for some time and in fact, my original intention of buying a USIA suit was based on what I read on this and other threads. Yes, I checked back here after purchasing another brand - and interestingly enough ... I see other people are not getting a response either. Why even have that cool "build your own suit" on their website? I spent alot of time researching thier products / trying to locate a nearby dealer - how dificult is it to just send a quick email - "Thanks for your interest in our products... here's a brochure..."?

BTW - I'm up to 9 posts now...
Honestly I haven't really heard that dealers are not answering their quote requests. If you don't receive a quote within a week, just call me at USIA or email me. I'll get you something right away. Geesh, you try to get a dealer a sale and they can't even answer an email.:no

they send you right back to the LDS to send it to USIA. I'm not very happy with my LDS right now, and I didn't want to (a) rely on them to mail my 1800+ dollar suit to USIA for the seals, either in a timely fashion or a safe, secure fashion, and (b) pay the LDS their pound of flesh for the experience, especiallly when they haven't been doing all that good a job at getting things done in the time frame they tell me.

I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer, and finding seals ain't all that easy anyway, but I got talked into letting the LDS install them instead of sending it to USIA. That took three plus weeks when it was promised in one, and I didn't have time to test the suit out in a pool before a trip, and my nervousness over the wait and the lack of testing helped spoil an otherwise decent trip.

I asked USIA about this in a post on this board, and basically they're protecting their dealer network, which IMHO is tantamount to saying screw the owner.

All in all, it's a nice suit, but Jeez, if I gotta go through the LDS to get service, forget it. I now have been forced to become a do-it-yourselfer, and I'm not too happy about it.

So, if you don't want to be married to an LDS, and you're not a do-it-yourselfer, consider my plight. If you LOVE your LDS that sells USIA, can't imagine them doing anything on earth to make you switch your allegiance, and don't mind paying a bunch of money to an LDS to mail a suit for you, use USIA.

There ARE drysuit repair companies that will repair seals, but I'd rather send it to the manaufacturer, especially when they provide the service as USIA does (albeit throught dealers, but that could and should be modified). This should be part of the benefits of picking USIA over another.

Just my two cents, and I'm not sure what other manufacturers do, but I'd sure consider someone else who gives better customer service to the customer, not the dealers.

USIA will always refer customers to their local LDS. It is the LDS that has helped USIA grow and flourish for 20+ years. Your particular LDS has been one of USIA's most loyal dealers over the years. They have stayed true to USIA when many dealers continue to import that crap coming in from overseas. So yes, we do support our LDS'. And we always will. But if a customer truly refuses to go through his LDS, we will accept suits direct, but we usually charge 20% more to do the repair. It makes sense financially to send your suits in for repair through your LDS. But you do have options. Just drop me an PM or an Email. It goes a lot farther than flaming us on Scubaboard.:no

and there was a question from me on this board, which you answered.
It doesn't take a degree in logic to understand that you are protecting your dealers, and that means their income. But by your own admission in THIS thread, some of your dealers aren't providing top-notch service.
And to suggest that it would be cheaper to use a third person is illogical. They're going to mark up the repair, don't you think? That was your answer in my post previously.
I don't have a problem with you protecting the dealers - we all have business models and I believe you need to stand by them if they work in an overall sense. If it works for you, and there are more pluses than minuses, OK.
I just want to make sure consumers understand your model so they are fully informed.
What part of my original post is in any way a flame, except my opinion about how "protect the dealers" means "screw the customers" ?
And, by the way, there was no offer at all to repair my suit. It was a flat NO. Although I disagree with charging me 20% more than your dealer, I probably would have done it to avoid using the dealer. Again, that doesn't seem fair to the consumer, does it?

You don't have perfect LDS's representing you. If I hadn't lost faith in my LDS, and your LDS's responded to quote requests, I think you'd be in a better place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom