How long until you'd consider diving Japan's waters?

When will it be safe to dive Japan's waters?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'm in!!!!!!
i'd be more concerned about the crap in the water from the quakes/tidal waves!!!!!

...and the waters ALWAYS warmer nearer the discharge pipes!!!!!!!

have fun
yaeg

Glib comments aside, They will have to completely seal the reactors off, and that will take time. There is highly radio active waste water running into the ocean by millions of gallons a day (just to keep the reactor from completely melting down). The ground for miles around is highly contaminated and that will be running off into the ocean for quite a while.

It would be years after sealing before I would dive in the region.

Glib comments aside, They will have to completely seal the reactors off, and that will take time. There is highly radio active waste water running into the ocean by millions of gallons a day (just to keep the reactor from completely melting down). The ground for miles around is highly contaminated and that will be running off into the ocean for quite a while.

It would be years after sealing before I would dive in the region.

Given the half-life of the radioactive materials that have leaked into the water, a few years isn't going to change much in terms of radioactivity (with the exception of iodine-131 which is like 8 days half life).

That being said I don't think diving in the water would be much of an issue. Water itself is a very effective barrier to loose radioactive particles (the 2nd reason they douse reactors in water) so unless you're diving in that harbour RIGHT next to the reactor then you will be fine.

Please note: I'm no expert so if you go diving and grow a third arm or something I take no responsibility :D

I'm 51 years old, kids are grown, not looking to spawn anymore. What's to worry about?

Do you think we could get a discount.....? :D

Well, I'm in Japan and the dives are just fine. :)

That doesn't mean I'd be interested in any salvage work diving near the reactor, but Japan's a big country. Even just in Tokyo, the crew still does regular dives each week.

Even supposing some issue of contaminants, let's not forget that we do wear protective barriers called "drysuits" each time. To be fair, they're not on par with hazardous contaminant suits, but close enough.

I'd dive in Bikini Atoll tomorrow despite the fact they tested nukes there, so...

Mind you, the diving in Japan is a bit less appealing than Bikini.

I'd have no problem diving right now down in Izu peninsula area south of Tokyo, but the water offshore from the area hit by the tsunami would be problematic, with or without the nuclear issue. A lot of stuff got pulled into the ocean.

Yeah, the debris/body recovery would be the greater concern. I'd be honored if a group like ours was asked to be part of the offshore recovery efforts if for no other reason than it gets us involved rather than sid idly by, but it's highly unlikely. And the continual recurrence of aftershocks and the potential for more tsunamis is more than a little worrisome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom