How many actually use diver buoy or surface marker buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will jump on this thread to ask some general questions about SMBs. I am new and i plan to use a surface marker as sort of warning "careful, i am a diver, don't kill me plx, kkthxbye". So i guess for that it would be enough to deploy it from the 5m safety stop, right? Because i am still save from boats down there, as long as it's not something like the "Allure of the Seas" or a similar sized ship :) (in which case i doubt that my 1m surface marker would make a difference anyway).
For that scenario 5-7m long reel would be enough, wouldn't it?

One more stupid question from someone whos native language is not english: what the hell is the difference between a reel and a spool? Maybe its obvious , but on pictures they look very similar. What i want is something small with a short line, so that's a spool than? (for whatever reason)

Hi Matrium - not silly questions - first a spool just holds line on a 'bobbin' which is like the rim of a car wheel with no tyre fitted.

A reel usually has a handle and a pivot through the centre so you can hold the body with one hand and 'wind' the line in with the other.

Because spools just have the 'bobbin' part they tend to be more compact and easier to store. But you have to manually wind the line back onto them. Reels tend to have handles and knobs and sometimes a locknut, so are bulkier and bigger normally.

If you just want to deploy a surface marker buoy from your safety stop then a short line will be fine, but 5-7 metres is too short. Go for at least 10 metres you can deploy from a little deeper and cope with waves and current better.

Best wishes

Phil

Hi, I totally agree with the recommendations from Phil. Simply buy a spool with 20 meters and take off some 5+ meters. Almost all spool have too much rope on them. You want to be able to see at least 50% of the holes in the spool. then you are fine. :)

Last edited:
I hate SMB's in the st-lawrence their pointless because in current the smb could be over 100 feet away from you with current and wind that being said it is law to use a float and flag in ontario when not near a boat but it's not strictly enforced that being said I do have a dsmb that is 4.5 feet tall I use this when drift diving from a boat when shore diving I have it with me but don't deploy it unless I am surfacing away from shore

I will jump on this thread to ask some general questions about SMBs. I am new and i plan to use a surface marker as sort of warning "careful, i am a diver, don't kill me plx, kkthxbye". So i guess for that it would be enough to deploy it from the 5m safety stop, right? Because i am still save from boats down there, as long as it's not something like the "Allure of the Seas" or a similar sized ship :) (in which case i doubt that my 1m surface marker would make a difference anyway).
For that scenario 5-7m long reel would be enough, wouldn't it?

One more stupid question from someone whos native language is not english: what the hell is the difference between a reel and a spool? Maybe its obvious , but on pictures they look very similar. What i want is something small with a short line, so that's a spool than? (for whatever reason)
Spool is a lot cheaper!
Get a self-sealed smb.
Where are you going to stow them?

Spool

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 27
Reel

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 26
I picked up a DSMB after a trip that could have had me needing it, had I been less skillful or lucky. So far it has only been deployed for practice. I carry a spool with about 130 feet of line because I may want to tie off to the bottom and a few spots I dive are deep. I do have other spools to choose from

As far as a float and flag goes, CA does not require divers to use one. If a flag is used, according to regulation, it has to be used properly. Some lakes have there own regulations, as they may be under another jurisdiction. One lake I dive in requires a float and flag, but since my buddy and I are the only divers the Rangers ever see, and we made a good case that it was safer for us not to attract attention, and we do carry SMB's just in case, so they turn a blind eye.

Bob

In CT and RI dive flags are the law and I have seen the Rangers checking for them. Admittedly I have never personally seen anyone get ticketed, I have been checked for life jacket and rescue whistle while kayaking so I assume the threat is real. I don't find it a big deal, and only moderately annoying. It lets my kids know where I am diving (provided they cared).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom