How many actually use diver buoy or surface marker buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the way I store my spools for use. I used to clip them as per pic 1 but often when I jumped in I would lose my reel and it would spool 45m of line off into the water. I was shown this new method by someone and its great. I ensure all my spools are set this way before I dive.

Pic 1 shows standard clip off
Pic 2 shows the modification I make to the line (lengthen the loop)
Pic 3 shows modified loop on clip
Pic 4 shows the new loop on clip and fed through spool hole
pic 5 shows new method to clip line off
pic 6 shows how to release line

The main reason being when you do a giant stride, with the old clip off method the spool can push against the clip pin and release. With the new method, there is no real strain or pressure directly onto the clip pin, the line loop takes all the force. I have not lost a reel since.

I like that. I think I will try it on my reels. Nice photo work also.

Honestly, I wouldn't cut any length off the spool rope. You might decide you want it down the line and it's not like it takes up any extra space since it's already on the spool anyway. Just make a clearly visible mark at your 5 m point. I actually made them at every 5m point on mine, which helps give me an idea of how much line I have out.

That said, definitely just get a finger spool with 20-30 m of line and a double-ender (like in the pictures above) and clip it off that way. Easy as cake to learn to use, though getting a "complete" fill from 5m is difficult in my limited experience. I.e. the SMB won't "stand up" without a lot of effort-and maybe a little downward force from you- when filled from 5m. Practice practice practice.

Here is a way to improve it. It's a little hard to understand.

and another one

I always carry an smb and spool. Just like my nautilus lifeline radio and a few other things, it's a "just in case" item.

In Florida, if I'm drifting I tow a standard flag on Styrofoam. In Florida if not drifting, I stay within range of the boat's flag. In Mexico, everyone is supposed to shoot an SMB every time, so I did that. At least our operator told us that was the rule in Mexico. Might just be "their" rule.

I'd never really shot an SMB prior to going to Mexico last year. It sounds a lot harder than it is, in the end it was super simple and painless. I learned after the first one to wait until you're relatively shallow so you don't have to wind 50' of line back onto the spool as you ascend.

Nothing more embarrassing than jumping off and then seeing your line spooling off around you, knowing no matter how hard you try and chase the spool it IS going to run off until the end is reached. On one dive I went to 70 m not realising I had 45 m of line spooled out behind me. An enterprising diver followed us down and handed me the spool before I got hung up.

I just keep mine in my thigh pocket until I'm ready to use it. No chance of line coming off the spool or losing the spool behind me as I descend. At least, it hasn't happened yet.

trouble is I have one thigh pocket, 2 spools 2 smb 3 torches wetnotes, jos line etc etc so most has to be clipped off

I also use the double ended clip as a handle to wind the line in too. Send up the SMB, then take double clip and clip it over the line, using the clip you can pull the line down under spool and then over the top, when you are at depth, with the line still through the clip, clip the clip off to the spool rim, now its locked at depth and easy to hang onto

trouble is I have one thigh pocket, 2 spools 2 smb 3 torches wetnotes, jos line etc etc so most has to be clipped off
My "problem" is the opposite: Two large, expandable cargo pockets, 1 spool, 1 dSMB, 1 roll-up snorkel. My backup light is attached to my harness, and I use an arm slate instead of wetnotes. I could have managed with only one of those pockets :p

Back
Top Bottom