How many attempts are allowed for PADI DM Written Test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not passing the exam twice? Hey, why are you not passing it the first time? To me THAT is the real issue because if you haven't done the work required to gain the knowledge, are you going to do the work required to be a good DM?

I read a quote once about the difference between an amateur and a professional. Wasn't about diving, but particularly apropos nonetheless given the "professional" status that DM certification conveys...

"An amateur practices something until they can get it right. A professional practices something until they can't get it wrong."

About two months before I went for my DM course, I read for about half an hour each day in my work lunch break, then in the evenings, read and studied for about 2 hours... I went back to the open water manual, the rescue manual, worked through the knowledge workbook, read through the enyclopeadia and re-read the knowledge reviews.

In addition, I went swimming two or three times a week, I went running two or three times a week, stayed of the ciggies, stayed off the booze, ate a good healthy diet... I looked and felt really good.

I did make one or two 'silly' mistakes in the exams, but moreso to misreading the questions... or misreading the answers...

When I went for my IDC, two or three months beforehand I went back through the manuals upto DM, I did all of the exams over and over, re-read through the Encyclopedia and all the materials, watched the DVDs...

In my final exams I smashed it... 100%, 92%, 100%, 100%, 100% and standards..90%

I personally don't think it is fault of the Instructor(s)... it has to be down to the individual... on my IDC there were people sitting up til 1.00am or 2.00am studying, they were waking at 5.00am to study more... I kinda felt that I may be doing something wrong as I was happily going out for (quite..) a few beers each night and waking at a comfortable 7.00/7.30am... I spoke with my course director and he said "at this stage, you either know it or you don't.. if you have to start studying now it's gonna be very difficult.." but I really couldn't learn or take in anymore...

Results were clear to see, whilst all but one in my IDC class passed, most of those just scraped in...

If you want the results you have to study, if there's something that you are not understanding then ask your instructor... instructors should be able to explain in a 'non-diving' environment as well as a specific examples as to how/why/when it is relevent in diving.

I am 41 and hadn't had to study for over 20 years, and.. from memory I hated studying at school.

But, if you want something badly enough, then you have to prepare yourself and put the hours in, you can't turn up to do the DM course and start on day one as if you were doing the OW course whilst on your holidays....

I did my DM course in 13 days and that was tough going, though it would have been so much more difficult had I not done the study or swimming practices beforehand. In hindsight, I would have allowed myself more time.

I hated my DM course as I had so much to do and the days were very long... but I LOVED MY IDC....

Good luck......

I have to agree with those who recommend experience and discipline. Get more dives under your belt before (or now while) going for your DM. Remember, this is a level where you will not only be expected to be able to look after yourself, but be tasked with looking out for others. You must be VERY CONFIDENT in your own abilities: physical, emotional and mental (knowledge) as concerns all things diving in order to take on this responsibility. Read and re-read all the PADI material from O/W - Rescue Diver during your DM course. Also look for some outside publications and tutors. I've always liked The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving (last published in 1986), and The Navy Diving Manual as sources for physiology and physics. Learn the Recreational Dive Tables to the point that you can do them in your sleep! Your program should have tutors available, or at least other DMs, OWSIs, etc. to provide assistance. Once you gain the experience and discipline, becoming a DM will be a very rewarding experience. I know it was for me.

eth727, Although I agree with RJP that more than one question on several PADI tests are poorly worded, regarding the DM tests: the manuals cover just about everything on the tests. There are several threads in the Going Pro forum that are very helpful, particularly with the physics. I passed all 8 in one day easily, but after 7 MONTHS of studying maybe a half hour daily (5 of which were before the course started, as I bought all the stuff in advance). Seemed like a ton of work to me, though others who are a quicker study may disagree and could accomplish the same with a month or so, or just doing the work as the class is going on. For me, the class was a review, and good opportunity to ask questions and pick up additional stuff from the instructor. How long have/did you study all this stuff?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom