How Many Bugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twinpop

Reaction score
I am confused, I read on this board that you could only catch a max of 7 bugs, does this mean a total of 7 per day or trip? i am going to cortez banks friday night coming back sunday, my lds says that it is 7 per day, is this correct? I do not want to get fined - $600 - $650 ouch!

It is 7 per day, but you can not count Friday, as the season does not open until 12:01 am on Saturday. Most of the boats are rather liberal and will count the boat total for all days and make sure that there is not more than 7 per diver per day. I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this, just the way it generally seems to work. I am usually one of the ones with less than the maximum. Please post after the trip and let us know how the banks were for diving and for hunting.

DFG states that the boat limit rule does not apply for lobsters. Also you can only have 7 per person, unless you have a multiple day permit. This includes what you have at home in your freezer.

This is what I mean, I have two different answeres to the same question. Anybody else????

OK I found the answer:

Q. How many limits of fish can I legally possess when I have been fishing for multiple days; and can I possess more than one daily limit at my home?

A. No more than one daily bag limit of each kind of fish, amphibian, reptile, mollusk or crustacean may be taken or possessed by any one person unless otherwise authorized (see Section 27.15); regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen, canned, smoked, or otherwise preserved. This includes in your home. Ref. Section 1.17.

Straight from the DFG website.

Thanks again,
Kevin

twinpop:
OK I found the answer:

Q. How many limits of fish can I legally possess when I have been fishing for multiple days; and can I possess more than one daily limit at my home?

A. No more than one daily bag limit of each kind of fish, amphibian, reptile, mollusk or crustacean may be taken or possessed by any one person unless otherwise authorized (see Section 27.15); regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen, canned, smoked, or otherwise preserved. This includes in your home. Ref. Section 1.17.

Straight from the DFG website.

Thanks again,
Kevin

OK, now I found a provision for multi-day trips - as long as the boat operator has submitted a multi-day trip declaration, the angler/fisherman can have up to 3 days of daily bag limit. So I guess i need to check and see if they have submitted this.

Getting Nervous,
Kevin

If you are going on a sport boat they will. And your price of the trip should cover multiple bag limit permits.

CA Diver:
It is 7 per day, but you can not count Friday, as the season does not open until 12:01 am on Saturday. Most of the boats are rather liberal and will count the boat total for all days and make sure that there is not more than 7 per diver per day. I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this, just the way it generally seems to work. I am usually one of the ones with less than the maximum. Please post after the trip and let us know how the banks were for diving and for hunting.

Date: October 01, 2005
Dive Location: Cortez Banks
Time: 9:30 AM
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis:
Wave height: Oh My GOD!!!
Temp at depth: 52
Surface Temp: probably in the mid 60's
Tide information: Rising.
Gas mix: nitrox 36%
Comments: no way am i going in there!!!

Got out there about 9-9:30 approx. 5-7 other boats in the area, surge at 40ft. was 30-40ft. Dive master called off dive. Got to see some huge breakers though - surfing side of me was like get me a board!!!

Date: October 01, 2005
Dive Location: Church Rock, Catalina
Time: 7:30 PM
Bottom Time:30
Max Depth:59
Vis: 40-50
Wave height: nil
Temp at depth: 64
Surface Temp: probably in the mid 60's
Tide information:
Gas mix: nitrox 36%
Comments: first night dives, yea!

stunning! I was too caught up in gazing at the kelp in the night than looking for bugs.
2nd. dive was basically the same. Dove with a great guy I met on the boat - where's Casey? No one was really catching any bugs. As I was getting on the boat - a pod of dolphins, about 7-9, swam by and played a little bit 20-30ft from the boat. that was too cool.

Date: October 02, 2005
Dive Location: Long Point, Catalina
Time: 9:00, 10:30, 1:15
Bottom Time:30
Max Depth:64, 45, 89
Vis: 40-50
Wave height: nil
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp: 65, 75, 79
Tide information:
Gas mix: Air 21%
Comments: bug hunting for real

Perfect conditions - some bugs on the first two dives, mostly juvies - a couple of decent size ones but too far back in their holes to get to and did not want to break off the antennaes. last dive of the day was awesome - 89ft. lots of bugs, still didnt catch any but it was cool - saw my first shark, about a 2 foot horn shark, caught a octo, well he happened to be in a shell I was going to get for my aquarium, he was very cool - before anybody says anything, I tossed him back. Good weekend all together.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom