How many dives did you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnw...ski:
My first dive after open water was solo back in 1981.
Am still here doing it.
Whats the big deal?

I hear you.

I got certified in 1984 years after I first started diving. My first dive was solo as were the majority of my dives until I got certified. My poor instructor. I am sure I was one nightmare for a student. He never knew what I was going to do next. My class buddy and I were so beyond the lesson plan it wasn't funny.

Almost made a big mistake though. I knew how to make an ascent after breathing compressed air, my buddy didn't. We were in the University Pool deep end (approx 16 ft.) I thought it would be a good idea do don and doff gear UW. To make it easy I had him put on my gear and sit on the bottom of the pool. I then swam down to him and he doffed and I donned while buddy breathing. So far so good.

After we completed the gear switch, I realized I hadn't covered the free ascent after breathing compressed air aspect with my buddy and I don't think we had gotten to it in class yet. I realized this was a problem. No sweat we can surface while buddy breathing. Problem is my buddy didn't understand what I was trying to tell him since I had switched the plan while UW. Finally I pantomined surfacing while continuously exhaling. Fortunately I had a smart class buddy and it turned out well, although I thought we were going to give the Instructor a heart attack when he witnessed that one.

jvevea:
Just curious... How many dives did you have when you first dove solo? When you first felt comparatively safe diving solo?

51 or so before going solo

Coming up on 1,500 dives ... just picked up my 40 cf "dive buddy" ... we'll be getting acquainted with each other in the presence of another diver for a few dives before going solo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lost buddy on first dive after course in 1977 - we both continued on with an enjoyable dive and I haven't looked back since:11doh:

Now, about one third of my dives are solo, about one third with same ocean type buddies, and the rest with a buddy.

Think attitude is more important than actual numbers of dives - it's OK to die solo when you feel comfortable - but you have to be honest with yourself IMHO. I had done a lot of free diving prior to the scuba course.

After about 3000 dives this seems to be working OK.

Now, Bob, you CAN'T be hurting for dive buddies . . . Are you just tired of all of us?

My first solo dives were over the weekend, my 19th and 20th dives. I was at a lake with others, but none of them were near me at any time. It was by far my most enjoyable dive to date. I am a solitary person, and I find diving with strangers an annoyance. I have no friends that dive, or want to.

It's my plan to begin diving in a nearby lake solo, before the summer is out. I've been gradually working up to it. But I'm not a risk taker, and have been approaching this in the most organized and thoughtful manner that I can.

I joined DAN, and read every single fatality and injury report covering the last couple of years. Going to get their insurance, too. I bought Spare Air, and redundant knife, mask, and light. I've practiced using and switching all of them in a 15 foot swimming pool, numerous times. I've got no intention of going below 20-25 feet until I've logged dozens more dives. My first few solo dives I plan to have my spouse there as well, in snorkeling gear since she doesn't want to scuba dive. I sit around frequently, imagining contingencies and my reactions to them, and then try to rehearse the responses, if practical. I've consulted with a doctor concerning my medical status, and have been increasing my aerobic exercise. I'm not terribly fit, but not a disaster either. My equipment servicing is up-to-date.

Reading the accident reports is sobering, but in the end I'm convinced that the risk is not excessive. My conclusion is that the likelihood of an out-of-air or entanglement emergency is remote. I think the most salient risk is some type of cardiac or neurological event at depth or on the surface, brought on by panic or over-exertion. In which case, as a solo diver, I'll be truly screwed, with little chance of survival. Also of course, arterial gas embolism if I run out of air, panic, and rocket to the surface. I don't think I'll do that, though.

Maybe I'm wrong. Been wrong before. But I've thought it through and plan to proceed with it. The posts here have been very helpful in highlighting both the risks and the possibilities....

Ozy

TSandM:
Now, Bob, you CAN'T be hurting for dive buddies . . . Are you just tired of all of us?
Nope, just interested in trying something different ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Welcome Bob...:D

I have had many many dives that were considered same ocean, same day buddies. Are you considering those type dives solo? Or the kind that you plan on being solo the whole dive? IN that case, it was about dive 250. Was supposed to dive with a bunch of folks, but nobody showed up. It being a glorious day, at a destination I dove a bunch of times, I chose to try a solo dive. Awesome! (and a little hair raising when 3 big jacks came speeding by. Were they the chasers or being chased???)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom