How many dives per week (total) on liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the liveaboards that I've been on there have been anything from 2 to 5 dives a day, depending on what part of the world they were in.

One can do more by arrangement, but the average IMO is 3-4 dives a day. The fifth would be a night dive.

Seadeuce

And how many diving days the operator offers. Many liveaboards only offer Friday morning diving, returning to the docks Friday afternoon for a Saturday disembarkation. One reason we choose the Nekton boats is because they offer a full day, including a night dive, on Fridays. That's 6 full days of diving, not 5 1/2.

On our last trip we averaged 24 dives per week (we did a 2 week back-to-back) since we only did a few night dives.

The new St. Croix/PR itinerary will stop diving on Friday after one afternoon dive. The afternoon and evening will be spend ashore on Vieques touring the bio bay and having dinner and then returning to port during the night for a Saturday morning disembarkation. There is also a shore excursion on St. Croix for Wednesday afternoon I believe. Whether there was going to be any diving available for those people not wanting to do the shore excursion was still up in the air when I left. I would expect some fine tuning and changes being made as they get used to the new itinerary.

Assuming a week long cruise (Saturday to Saturday), 27 dives. I do them all.

All the best, James

Most I've been on offer 5 a day assuming no weather problems or whatever. I was on one that did only 3-4 because of cruising times, we covered a lot of territory on that trip. I don't usually want to do more that 4 a day, doesn't leave me enough time to just relax.

When I was on the Nekton in January they offered a dawn dive any day that you could get at least 4 of the guests to sign up for it... on those days there would be 6 possible dives (dawn, 2 morning, 2 afternoon, and a night).

Basically, you can plan on all the diving you can physically handle. They also let you dive your computer (at least the Nekton did), so you could stay down as long as you were safe. One word of caution though -- once you do a liveaboard, you won't be satisfied diving any other way.

On a private liveaboard in the Red Sea a few years ago most of us did 7 dives a day for the four days we were out, and several dives each day were deep. We were in the water most of the time. Made sense at that time and place, but normally I'd cap it at 5.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom