• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Tigers objections have been dealt with ad nauseam. He just needs to read previous posts and understand what is being said.

In our area fatal attacks on scuba divers is significant. You need to read back over the thread for the information provided.
Ehh.. no..
But then again, Im fed up with banging my head against the wall around your closed mind, so Ill just leave you to your irrational fear mongering..

In our area fatal attacks on scuba divers is significant.
Please quantify "significant". I don't believe there is any diving destination where diver fatalities due to shark encounters are more than statistical noise: not even in Australia. Florida leads the world in shark fatalities and last year we had no shark related diver fatality. None, nada and squat.

Netdoc, I know it's only February, but can we open the "Troll of the Year" nominations for Foxfish? If you started a poll, he would get my vote hands down!

Not another poll?!?

Sent from my Galactic Communicator using TapaTalk

I am not sure if this image was posted in this thread already.

Attachments

• Afraid of Sharks.jpg
    Afraid of Sharks.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 100
My past studies of literature make me wonder how the American writers and philosophers Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David through would perceive this thread. Both were outright champions of an individual holding fast to a belief in the face of overwhelming opposition. Emerson's Self Reliance is the best statement of that ideal. The more famous is the part of Thoreau's Walden in which he says, "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

With those ideals, it is likely that they would admire the persistence of someone who holds to a belief despite the fact that he faces 100% opposition to that belief over more than 250 posts in a thread. I would never have such courage myself.

On the other hand, both firmly argued that we should live in accord with nature, so they would in this argument be well within that opposition. They would celebrate the OP's willingness to cling to a belief while firmly disagreeing with that belief themselves.

Both Emerson and Thoreau met with Walt Whitman during the height of his being attacked for his latest controversial additions to Leaves of Grass, and based on the advice they gave him then, I believe they would point out a key part of Emerson's "Self Reliance," in which he said "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." In other words, if you have been proudly and strongly proclaiming a belief and then one day realize you are wrong, it will be wrong to persist in that belief for the sake of consistency. Speak what you believe now with the same fervor with which you said the opposite the day before.

Putting it all together, the wise individual, the true transcendentalist in Emerson's terms, is the one who can hold a belief in the face of stern opposition and yet be not afraid to reverse course publicly and without shame when he or she realizes that the opposition was ultimately correct.

My position is very easy to uphold because the position of the majority on this thread is plainly ridiculous and indefensible. It is that they 'don't care' about the risk of a fatal shark attack. That they have no regard for their own safety in this matter. That even if a fatal attack was inevitable they'd dive.

Shark attacks will not deter me from diving.

Just one, mine.

You didn't have a box for "No amount would deter me".

I very seldom or never think about it. And if I do it's more of a fantasy to be able to get that close to something that magnificent.

I live and dive in a very shark infested area, so if I worried about it I would never dive.

Im not voting as the proper option of "I wont be deterred by numbers alone".

I would not be deterred by anything but sharks actively preying on scuba divers - which I've never ever heard of happening anywhere but in Hollywood...

No as that would indicate that shark attacks would deterr me

Numbers have been provided for the area in which I live. Also check the Shark Attack Files for many more.

I did not vote because there is not my choice available, me, I do not care. I might even attack them back should they try and bite me (just kidding, sorta).

N

I myself would not care how many attacks there were. As a thinking, mostly rational, intelligent, human being I have to realize that if I choose to enter the water I am now no longer on the top of the food chain and have to accept everything that comes with that.

Just because I am the aforementioned person also does not give me the right to be so goddamn arrogant to think my life is somehow worth more. It's not.

I am a meat sack until I die. By whatever means that happens to be. Then I become a dead meat sack.

Justifying the slaughter of a species because it happens to take a bite out of someone once in a while who is invading it's territory is total horsecrap. But then this is being done in the same place that did that to the local indigenous human population. And continued doing it in spirit up until the 1970's when they were stealing their children and relocating them for "educational purposes" and to "give them a better life" by insuring they did not breed with their own people.

Don't want to take a chance on someone getting bit? Tell them to stay the hell out of the water.

Those were the comments that preceded the inclusion on the thread of the option 'don't care' by Netdoc, apparently one of the Scubaboard administrators. Incidentally I've never witnessed that kind of interference without the approval of the person who created the poll and OP before by the administration of any internet chat forums. I'd hazard a guess that this is the first time it was done on this board.

The fact that this position has been defended by so many on this forum and the site administration is disturbing. It testifies how fanatical and deluded people have become in their support for Greeny ideology.

---------- Post added February 24th, 2014 at 06:57 PM ----------

Please quantify "significant". I don't believe there is any diving destination where diver fatalities due to shark encounters are more than statistical noise: not even in Australia. Florida leads the world in shark fatalities and last year we had no shark related diver fatality. None, nada and squat.

This was discussed at length and the evidence tendered previously in the thread.

Would you jump in with scuba gear and no shark protection (ie. outside the cage) behind a boat with cage divers with a number of big, hungry, man-eating white pointers milling around?

How many fatal shark attacks did you have in Florida in the last three years? Please provide source.

Last edited:
My position is very easy to uphold because the position of the majority on this thread is plainly ridiculous and indefensible. It is that they 'don't care' about the risk of a fatal shark attack. That they have no regard for their own safety in this matter. That even if a fatal attack was inevitable they'd dive.

Numbers have been provided for the area in which I live. Also check the Shark Attack Files for many more.

Those were the comments that preceded the inclusion on the thread of the option 'don't care' by Netdoc, one of the Scubaboard administration. Incidentally I've never witnessed that kind of interference without the approval of the person who created the poll and OP before by the administration of any internet chat forums. I'd hazard a guess that this is the first time it was done on this board.

The fact that this position has been defended by so many on this forum and the site administration is disturbing. It testifies how fanatical and deluded people have become in their support for Greeny ideology.

---------- Post added February 24th, 2014 at 06:57 PM ----------

This was discussed at length and the evidence tendered previously in the thread.

Would you jump in with scuba gear and no shark protection behind a boat with cage divers with a number of big, hungry, man-eating white pointers milling around?

How many fatal shark attacks did you have in Florida in the last three years? Please provide source.

Will you please just go away! Or better yet what's your real job and office so I can pass it on to my friends in Sea Shepard. The only delusional one here is you. Do the world a favor and stay out of the water as well. Go hunt baby stealing dingos.

Back
Top Bottom