• Yes, hated it

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • No, but plan to

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did my ow and aow there. Don't intend to ever dive there again. Cold water, bad vis, nothing to see anyway. When our aow instructor found out we were going to Coz a couple of months after our certification he said well, you'll never want to dive this mudhole again, and he was right. I'm definitely hooked on saltwater.

Would like to dive the lake. I heard some good things about it while working at Ginnie Springs. Too bad it is a looooong way out of my way just to swing by and dive. I live in Michigan. If I am going to drive that distance, I am going to cave country. The next time I goto NC to go wreck diving I will have to dive the lake.

Kevin

I was going to dive it this past weekend, But you backed out!! :):) just kidding Jamiei..ended up diving lake Keowee..viz was approx. 3' at the pump house..water temps were 64 deg. I couldn't believe that it was that cold already..I was there about a month ago and temps were high 70's...I might do 1 more dive in Jocassee (Dry) but my buddies don't have drysuits yet...now the hot hole at Keowee......yeah, that's where I'll be soon...
Bobb

Capt-JT just added some pictures and text about a trip that he did there a few weeks ago... www.capt-jt.com (look in the 'pictures' and 'dive stories' sections)

It is certainly not the warm clear waters of the Carribean, but when you are landlocked, it starts looking pretty good. Lake level has been way down (25ft or so) for the past 2 years, but when lake levels are up, it can be a decent dive spot. You really need to dive from a boat. They sunk an old chinese junk right at the edge of the wall. Recent rains have helped bring area lakes back up but not sure how much Jocassee is up.
The lake is 300ft in spots and there are several other deep sites if you want to try your technical skills. Be dressed for cold water because the thermoclines can really be tough.:)

yeah, a boat is a plus unless you don't mind diving the boat ramp (nice platform around 20' with the water levels down and the hull of an old boat) or paying $25/person and Off the Wall charters will take you out there for about 4 hours. I actually just bought an old bass boat (1979 Venture/Mercury 500 50 hp) and I'm completely redoing the deck and plan on using it a lot in Jocassee this year. Anyone know where the line from the platform going to deeper water goes to, if anywhere. Just to clarify myself, this is not the main ramp/dock at the park, but the double boat ramp with one blocked off for divers off to the left of the main boat launch site at the park. Also, the last time I was out there (late september), the junk was at about 40-45' and is supposedly at 65-70 feet at full pool.

Hey Jamieie,
i followed that line down from the platform about 1 1/2 yrs ago, (curiosity got the best of me). As you know the water level was about 25 ft below full pool. The rope went down to 81 ft and ended. Cold, Dark and a lot of roots, limbs, and logs.

Dave

yeah, thats about what I expected. Anyone been fishing on Jocassee? I've heard a lot about the big trout there... would make for a nice SI. I'm really a fish freak so I'll be trying to locate new spots there and probably sinking a few fish attracting objects around in addition to exploring around the dam. Anyone know when the temp gets bearable there? I've only been up there in august and sept.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom