• Yes, hated it

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • No, but plan to

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I recall reading you are from GA, so why wouldn't you want to go to the springs in Florida for your check out dives.

1. its about same distance
2. its WARMER hehe

btw what class you thinking about taking?

I'm from NE GA so its actually about 2 hours closer... classes are actually much cheaper there than in Florida for one reason... Just a few specialty classes and rescue. I saw the advanced class was only $105 plus the book... It's like $250-$350 in florida... Besides... I've never been to blue stone before... Its something new...

I see your point. I have taken my classes at a local dive shop. Then you just sign on to one of his trips.

$250-$350 is a lot for just a class with its check out dives.

My wife wants to take wreck diving. Books and class is $125 then a trip to Jocasse to dive the junk is about $100. So she will get the class and the cert dives for $225.

I would like to take photagraphy but It isnt a specialty taught by my local shop. So I'll prob have to pay out the nose.

Let us know how you liked it. :)

Yeah, most padi specialties at blue stone are like $50-$150 including check off dives and air. You have to supply your books, but you can often get them really cheap on ebay. I think its about a 4 hour drive from here in athens and it seems like it would be an interesting place to check out if nothing else. I was also told that people, at least used to, dive a quarry in Sparta,GA (about an hour or so south of athens). Never heard of it before recently. Not sure if its open for diving either. There's numerous quarries around, but most are either active or the owner's are too afraid of liabilty to allow divers.

I dove the lake--dove on a wreck they called "the Junk" wreck because it sort of resembled a Chinese Junk boat. I liked it.

Barracuda2

I wonder how many of you are aware that scenes from the movie, The Abyss, were filmed at Jocassee? An LDS in Spartanburg handled the logistics for them.

crgoode once bubbled...
I wonder how many of you are aware that scenes from the movie, The Abyss, were filmed at Jocassee? An LDS in Spartanburg handled the logistics for them.

I frequent that particular LDS (The Scuba Shop), Mike the owner and Scott the store manager are really nice guys. Many of the habitat/underwater shots were filmed at an abandoned plant outside of Greer. If I'm not mistaken Mike trained many if not all of the people in the movie to dive.

Cheers

plsdiver4377 once bubbled...

I frequent that particular LDS (The Scuba Shop), Mike the owner and Scott the store manager are really nice guys. Many of the habitat/underwater shots were filmed at an abandoned plant outside of Greer. If I'm not mistaken Mike trained many if not all of the people in the movie to dive.

Cheers

That's where I did my OW and AOW. Allen was my Instructor, I think he's also a part-owner now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom