How many here Post on Facebook about Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danvolker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was just in a big social media discussion with a friend of mine that runs a large company, and is considering dropping Traditional Print Ads and TV, and instead, going with Facebook.

Since the people on SB are clearly representative of an active "Online Community", I think this is a great group to ask about their individual posting volume on FB, and if any Diving posts are ever a part of their FB behaviors....

So, who posts on Facebook, why do you post on Facebook, and what would you say there that you would not be likely to post on SB?

I post on FB, I am not likely to buy print or TV, and I wouldn't post anything on FB that I wouldn't put on SB. My personal page on FB is populated with friends, not fans. Fans get the commercial site. What goes on my personal page would be likely to be found in the Pub rather than in the new divers forum.....

All my real buddies can be found on Facebook. That's where the real action happens. SB, especially Texas Swamp Divers, is just fantasy land.

All the time. Photos, videos, conditions, and trip reports.

I post on Facebook infrequently. I only have the account so I can see others pages. I do post a limited number of photos and comments on my scuba trips so my friends can see. Other than a few (very few) likes I don't use it much. I don't pay much attention to FB for adds. If they don't have a regular website I am probably not gonna see it.

I definitely post about diving on FB. I keep in touch with all my diver friends, post about my dives and upcoming dives, and look at what my friends post about their dives. I post photos from my more exotic dives and look at dive photos my friends post, some of whom are professional u/w photographers/videographers. I ask for buddies if we're trying to fill a charter for a specific date and site. If I come across something interesting for divers, maybe on SB or Ontario Diving, I might link to it on my FB.

There is a strong diver community in Ontario, and probably more than half of my FB friends are divers. When we get together socially, we also post pics.

The things I post on FB are more personal and locally-oriented than what I would post on SB.

I don't watch a lot of tv and I don't tend to see print ads, so that type of media would be lost on me.

I post, but I hate being pinged with ads on FB. I routinely clean out the ads that come up with "against my beliefs". I don't care what it is. Just flat pisses me off....

I just recently joined Facebook ... primarily because that's where all the local divers seem to be organizing dives these days.

I mostly use it for posting trip reports and pictures. I initially got inundated with all the political BS that seems to be rampant among some folks I attempted to "friend" ... but I learned how to block their posts so I don't have to read them. My "politics" time is spent here ... in The Pub ... where I know everybody.

The other thing I primarily use Facebook for is keeping in touch with my nieces and their kids.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom