How many hose protectors should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLWeek

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be running these items off of an mk16:
S550
S190
Computer
Lp hose

so should I get a protector for all four or not get one for the lp hose or what? thank you

I think I have them on all 4 of my hoses.

Some high end regs come with a protector, but generally I would say put a protector on all hoses. They all get subjected to stress and any one failing sure screws up your dive.

None of them...hose protectors hide far more problems that they solve.

Too many people never pull them back to see what's happening underneath.

Why not save your money?

They hide damage to the hoses.

The ones that I have seen are not strong enough to provide effective strain relief.

I have seen several old hoses that looked ok but when I pulled the protectors off I could see the cracking at the hose/connector junction.

Peter

Uh, none.

They are unnecessary and they cause more problems them help. R

But what do I know, I a GIRL. Hahaha

I do not use hose protectors on any of my hoses.
On my doubles they are routed in a way that would ADD stress if i were to add a hose protector.
And yes they hide hose damage as well
:)

totally dependent on what application you are diving in....

Are you travelling a lot? then I'd get 4 and a spare.

Are you rigging a doubles kit? then I'd get none.

How do you store your reg?
On the din/yoke with the hoses free-hanging? - again 4 and a spare
Crefully wrapped up and stowed? - none

Basically is it going to help or hurt your regs? Is there stress at the connection from the first stage, and is the hose protector going to help alleviate that stress? If you do get them, make sure you pull back the protector once in a while (say every 6 months) and inspect the hose.

It seems to me the most stress on hoses does not occur in the water, but in the dive bag.
If your underwater configuration strains your hose, then fix the problem.
The protectors will prevent the hose getting crimped when your bag gets bumped & shoved.
Also when hanging to dry, there is always one hose that points up and is stressing at the primary.
And no, protectors do not replace common sense inspections.

will they cause any damage to the hose? like mold the hose or rot threw it since it will be more wet inside of the protector...hmm what am I trying to say...Since the hose protector is cover the hose, will it cuase any type of mildo or anything on the hoses or will it just hide a blemish? also, how long does it take for a "blemish" to usually occur? If I am diving a brand new set up how long will it take for the blimishes to start appearing?

Thanks to all of you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom