How many hose protectors should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one on the second stage end of one of my second stage hose. It makes the hose from the D400 second stage from the right tank visually and tactily different than the D400 second stage from the left tank. It's good to be able to tell them apart which can be a problem when using the same model second stage for both.

I also use a matching hose protector on the SPG end of the high pressure hose from the right tank. The SPG and second stage from the right tank consequently match and it avoids confusion as to what reg you have in your mouth and what is left in that tank.

are we talking about the protectors that cover the whole hose? or just by the connections?

because I think the ones that cover the connections are great, what's so hard about pulling them back to inspect the hose? however the ones that cover the whole hose are pointless.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
I use one on the second stage end of one of my second stage hose. It makes the hose from the D400 second stage from the right tank visually and tactily different than the D400 second stage from the left tank. It's good to be able to tell them apart which can be a problem when using the same model second stage for both.

I also use a matching hose protector on the SPG end of the high pressure hose from the right tank. The SPG and second stage from the right tank consequently match and it avoids confusion as to what reg you have in your mouth and what is left in that tank.

I understand you are diving doubles, correct? If so, i get the impression that you are using 2 SPG's, if so, why?

sheck33 once bubbled...

I understand you are diving doubles, correct? If so, i get the impression that you are using 2 SPG's, if so, why?

Separate independent tanks with separate regulators - no manifold involved.

The downside is that it requires regulator switching on dives where you plan to use the additional air from both tanks to ensure you always have enough air in either tank to finish the dive in case of a malfunction with either tank or regulator. An SPG is required on each tank to double check what is remaining as the dive progresses and to ensure you are always leaving 1/3 of the air in reserve.

On shallower or shorter dives that could be done with a single tank, I still carry both tanks to maintain the same configuration I am used to and to provide what amounts to a very large pony bottle as much of my diving is solo.

There are some advantages in that I carry a lift bag and reel strapped with surgical tubing to the right tank in case an ascent line is needed. On a single tank dive all I have to do is switch out the left tank between dives and all the stuff rigged to the right tank stays in place. This and the travel bands themselves allow for the fastest tank changes on the boat.

This setup also allows the use of different air or nitrox mixes in either tank to either add a saftey margin in deco or to accellerate deco. But I don't prefer to do this as anything over nitrox 40 imposes very signifincant depth limits below which the other tank cannot safely be used as a redundant bailout system. I am more likely to sling a 30 cu ft pony with either O2 or Nitrox 70 to accomplish any accellerated decompression.

The configuration is a little odd by most standards but it allows for the same basic configuration whatever the dive profile, which breeds a lot of familiarity. It also maximizes flexibility and minimizes hardware and air fills compared to a more conventional doubles arrangement with an isolator manifold. It also allows me to maintain the same setup when traveling and using rental tanks.

I own 18 tanks but share them with my spouse and son who do not dive deep and have no need for doubles. Doing it this way avoids tying the tanks up in doubles arrangements that no one else would use and has eliminated the need to spend a small fortune on additional tanks and isolator manifolds.

According to this article http://www.seasabres.com/Safty-education/reulator care.htm Hose protectors help to prevent damage to the hose and prevent hose cracking.....

On the other hand, I thought hose cracking was caused by Wear / Age / and heat.. in which case, wouldn't the hose protector increase wear by keeping abrasives close to the rubber, and make it difficult to tell when the hose is getting aged? Anywhoo.. just a tidbit of information.

So you have four hoses...

Let me see...

*does the math*

add this... and that...

carry the four...

*scribble*

I've got it!

None. :)

I'll throw in another vote for *none*

If hoses are configured and stored properly, there really shouldnt be much stress on them, therefore no need for protectors or stress relievers.

OTOH, as mentioned by several people already, protectors can hide potential problems where they are most likely to occur... where the hose crimps to the fitting.

As a BOW diver I thought all the colored hose protectors and mesh coverings were cool. Now that I've got a little more experience I know that I'm better off saving the money I'd spend on all that flashy stuff for something I really need. Like a spare air!

Back
Top Bottom