Question How many messages have you posted on SB as a multiple of your total lifetime dive count?

User SB Messages / Total User Scuba Dives?

• 12,500 times +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >= 1,000 times < 12,500 times

• >= 125 times < 1,000 times

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1.39 posts per day in 20 years on Scubaboard
2,687 dives i.n 33 1/2 years
2,420.5 hours underwater

I'm OK with that. There are some here with a few thousand more posts than I do with less than 500 dives.

In contrast, doing meaningful dives can take a very long time
This is very true. If I want to go diving, it will take me
- one hour to get to the diving club hut and to blend gasses
- one hour to drive to a dive site
- one hour of pre/post dive stuff
- one hour under water
- one hour driving back
- one hour for equipment maintenance and getting home
- some time writing my diving diary
A 45 to 90 minute dive will take me about 6-7 hours. If the buddy is slow, it will take 8.
In that time, I can post 30 times.
Besides, one dive taking a full working day, I can only dive on saturdays or sundays.
Logically, then, a person who is very interested in scuba and enjoys participatie Ther ng in discussions will have many times more posts than dives, even if that person has a lot of dives. It makes perfect sense.
Spot on.
But for some reason, some people who lack the capacity for logical thought seem to think that having more posts than dives means you do not have the necessary background to make valuable comments.
It is the amount of experience (not the number of dives) that is relevant. Your posts/dives ratio means nothing. Your #dives means a lot more - unless they were all pool dives. In addition to quantity you will need to experience diverse adverse conditions. The more the **** hits the fan, the better you know the ****.
These people who lack the capacity for logical thought think it is clever to demean those whose avid interest in scuba and whose deep reading on the topic results in a high number of posts. They typically make asinine comments about "posting less and diving more," and they actually think that makes sense.

These days, I get way more hours in the water and way less dives.

Around 3 dives per post.
The only reliable metric we can extract from this is how much time a diver likes to spend on an internet board.

Just did a quick calculation. Approximately 0.0425 posts per dive. Maybe I just don't have a lot to say.

I don't know that the ratio really matters that much, but what I find "disappointing" is when people intentionally are grossly misleading about the number of dives they have. I even recently saw someone take the time to explain that their dive count is incorrect and unrepresentative of reality, and in doing so, expend more time then it would require to actually adjust their dive count. Humans are strange.

I know people argue endlessly over counting a pool dive or make a big deal about doing 100 dives (or a dozen), but I think it is generally useful to know if a person's opinion has been generated over 1000 dives or 78 in the last 10 -20 years.

How about total hours diving over posts?

Can only do one 2h-ish dive a day due to the tides and tissue loadings. People in the tropics would do 5 in that time, or a DiveMASTER would do 20 in a day (they hardly count in terms of experience).

Number of dives is pretty meaningless compared to the type of dives being dived.

Currently preparing for 4 days of diving in Scotland. These are all circa 60m/200ft and there'll be one dive per day lasting around 2 hours to 2h30. Thus my dive total will be 4 more on Sunday and somewhere around 8 to 10 hours. The drive is 420 miles each way and need to leave at 03:00 tomorrow to miss the traffic. About 8 to 10 hours each way.

But it's something that we all like to do.

Around 3 dives per post.
The only reliable metric we can extract from this is how much time a diver likes to spend on an internet board.
See you in 3 dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom