How many of you smoke?

do you smoke?

• I smoke

Votes: 73 21.3%
  • I don't smoke

Votes: 269 78.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the wife is over the in-laws tonight, it's one of those rare times that I can sit on the front porch smoke a Habana and down some Havanna Club. yea!!

Would love to quit!
I have set a date and plan to be smoke free by than.
Nasty habit.

Yes, everyone is right. Smokers get more breaks in the military.

Mike M

Hi,
Quit while you still can. I am an EMT and work in a Cardiac ICU Unit as a Cardiac Monitor and am going to school FT for my RN.

I see LOTS of people die every day - heart attacks (#1 killer) and COPD's (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) - Emphysema, etc.

Trust me, 99% of prior or current smokers DO NOT smoke for 20+ yrs without consquences of some sorts. It just takes time.

WHY ruin the quality of life, when its so short and you can do as much as possible to be healthy?

Let me ask you -would you dive with a regulator that wasn't working properly? No? Well, it’s the same with your lungs and heart!

Take care of it and they will take care of you!

Quit now while you still can - dying from COPD or MI's (heart attacks) isn't pretty...when you watch someone 'gasping' for air there is nothing funny about it.

Good luck in kicking the habit!

PS I smoked for 2 yrs when I was 24 yrs old and decided one day just to put that pack down and stop NOW - and I did. Never looked back! Do I miss? Sometimes, but when I go to work everyday, I am reminded that I made the RIGHT decision!

Hey... are the effects of secondary smoke really as bad as all that? The reason I ask is because my parents both smoke around 2+ packets a day each and for a large portion of my childhood I was home school'd so there was no escaping the smoke cloud...

So my question is this:

1. How does long term exposure to second hand smoke effect you? (i was 18 when i moved out of home)

2. Could that be a contributing factor to my being an asthmatic.

3. Do the effects of second had smoke show up in the same way as normal smokers.

Anything else....

Yes, yes and yes...

First, its different for everyone, someone may be subjected to 20 years and never show any signs of second hand smoke, for others, they might not be SO lucky.

I can only say that everyone who smokes or is subjected to 2nd hand smoke will feel SOME effects, to one degree or another - buts it different for everyone. Some peoples 'constitution' and genetics allows them to get away with more than others.

In any case, sure, its not good for asthma - anyone with asthma or COPD of any kind, should NOT be subjected to smoke, pets, dust, mold, pollen, etc.

But I can tell you this with 100% certainty - that I see folks everyday who abused their bodies and paid the price.... heart attacks, respiratory distress or arrest, cancer, illnesses at 40-45 yrs old that should NOT be happening so soon, etc.

Yes, its REALLY that bad.... there is a quote thats says something like "There re over 400 or 4000 contaminants when you light up a smoke that you inhale." Its true.

Best of luck,

PS Anything that you put into your body that is foreign, be it smoke, Rx's, drugs, etc. is not supposed to be there -and everyhting has a action and reaction.....

Even DIR has chapters on fitness in diving, exercise, etc.

Very interesting... Out of 5 brothers only one of us is a smoker... (and not its not me :) Having seen someone die of lung cancer I can say with a certinaty that I'll never pick up the habbit of smoking... I can remember that my bedroom was a smoke free room at home and in the morning when I woke up I'd walk down the hallway and was able to distinctly follow where my parents had been in the morning because of the smoke smell..

Best of luck to everyone that is giving up!!

For reasons that may have to do with genitics or whatever, I always though smoking (ANY KIND OF SMOKE) was stupid and since it makes you cough and smell bad could not be good for you.

Many years later the Surgeon General stated what I always suspected. Smoking kills!

I was in the military for 23 years. Never lit up. All my inlaws smoked and I still never lit up. My father in law died of lung cancer at age 46. My wife has never smoked either even though her entire family did. What a match we became!

I only wish that the boat drivers had the guts to completely ban smoking when divers are on board. I only wish the dive masters and support personnel would not smoke either (almost all of them do).

I am pround to be a diver and I am proud to be associated with other divers who have made the decision to not smoke---ever again. We will all enjoy life so much more regardless of how much time we still have!

Started out sneaking to smoke a cigarette or two in the last year of high school, because I thought it made me look older, and more sophistocated.

Then seemed to continue the habit somewhere along the last years of college and for an additional 15 more. Was up to a pack a day of More Menthols.

Eventually, hated coming indoors smelling like an ashtray (despite gum and vigorous handwashing), having my apartment (at that time), my car, my hair, my clothes, my pet smelling of smoke. Then got tired of standing in the garage of my own house in the middle of the night looking like a stalker.

I may be much older now, but I feel a lot younger since I quit!!! :gorgeous:

Used to smoke (back in the 60's - and it wasn't just cigarettes). Quitting was tough. I quit in the late 70's. Literally had to give up most of my friends (they were smokers too), and had to give up alcohol and going to bars. I got to the point where I could go for a week without a cigarette, but then if I went dancing in the bars on the weekend, I could easily smoke two packs in an evening. Took years to finally give it up for good.

As a plus-size diver, I can't tell you the number of times I have thought of starting back up. When I smoked, I was thin. However, reminding myself that being overweight is less of a risk than smoking keeps me off it.

ages

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom