How many of you think solo is OK to do and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can think of many dives I would not do solo that I might contemplate with a competent and committed buddy. It has nothing to do with lacking skill but rather a realistic understanding of my own limitations and the fact that I have to operate as an autonomous unit. While it is true that a diver should be able to exit a dive safely when buddy separation occurs it is not the same as continuing a dive alone or coping with problems that could occur during a dive.

Dave Shaw felt descending solo was as safe as doing so in a team but there was no way Don Shirley could have survived his vertigo if he had planned to decompress solo.

A competent buddy team can share resources and problem solve to a higher degree than a solo diver can so it stands to reason that a cohesive team could take on dives of a higher commitment level and deal with more complex issues. That doesn't mean that a solo diver cannot do difficult dives, it just means they have to understand how they are limited and avoid circumstances where those limitations could effect the dive.

Dives that require long deco obligations can be problematic when solo. Fatigue can become problematic. Vertigo, Hypothermia, Narcosis... I would seriously question someone who believes they can cope with all problems equally alone than with a competent partner.

Another aspect to consider is what happens post dive. Some boat divers may not get that but I dive remote locations in cold weather and water. The dives I plan solo need to have a consideration of getting in the water, getting out, and being able to drive away. I would accept far more exposure in a group than I would alone. For example, I need to be reasonable sure I can deal with a full drysuit flood at the worse possible moment, exit, regain my vehicle and rewarm. The dive commitment level I would accept in that regard solo is less than I would in a group.

This would be my exact philosophy. Of course the key word is "competent" buddy (team). We all know the argument that a buddy who is not good, prone to panic, etc. can be more dangerous than going solo. But that (like most of a "solo" thread) is old news.

Ok so looks like the solo forum, partly as a result of threads like these, is now available for all to read. To post, you just join the forum.

shoredivr
happily soloing since 1998

Ok so looks like the solo forum, partly as a result of threads like these, is now available for all to read. To post, you just join the forum.

shoredivr
happily soloing since 1998

Yup, you are correct.

Just be sure to read the Solo Forum rules...this particular thread would not be suitable there:

This forum is intended to discuss the limits, skills and techniques related to solo diving and not to debate its relative merits.

I have been solo diving (approx. 85%) & approx. 15% with my buddy for the past 20 years and I do not believe it is any more risky than diving with a buddy.

I always dive with twin 80's or 130's and my rule is Never lets tanks get below 1500 psi.

I will admit on one dive I got tangled in a net, kept my cool, and used my shears to remove the net around me. I did continue on with the dive.

Take it for what it is worth!

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth (which with inflation is as near zero as makes no difference, but wth).

I believe that diving solo is less safe than diving with a buddy or buddies. But as ddrich2 pointed out way back in post #6, safety is relative. If we always did everything in the safest possible manner we'd be unable to do anything enjoyable. So the issue with diving as well as with everything we do is risk-benefit evaluation. I have no interest in diving solo, so for me there's no benefit for the added risk. Clearly, some people enjoy it, or want to dive when and where a buddy is not available, and as long as their actions are not putting others at risk, they have every right to do so. And as pointed out by others, driving, which most of us do daily, is risky. The wise person assesses the actual risks (as opposed to the gut-level perceived risks) of an action and decides if they're worth it. All too many people base their decisions on perceived, rather than real risks, and so miss out on much of life. I've known people who drive long distances, eat unhealthy diets, and fail to get adequate exercise, but who think that a dive with Caribbean Reef sharks or a hike in the mountains within 50 miles of grizzly bear habitat is "too dangerous."

So is diving solo okay? It is if you know what you're doing and get enjoyment out of it. The one activity that is always 100% fatal is being born. It will, eventually, get you killed.

I have another question regarding solo diving. First I will state that I have solo dived, it is not a regular occurence for me but there are circumstances where you either choose not to dive or you dive solo. I registered for a boat dive in October last year in CA, my wife (main dive buddy) could not get away from work so I went alone. In scheduling the 2 tank boat dive you always make the assumption that there are an even # of divers to pair up with, if not the Dive Master keeps it even. This was not the case. I was the only solo diver on this boat as everyone else was paired up. The dive master provided an overview of the dive site but did not dive. I buddied up with a husband/wife pair and during the dive they ran out of air after only 40min. I had the choice of continuing diving for another 20min (water depth was only 15-35ft in kelp forrest) or surfacing with them. I chose to keep diving and wound up capturing some of the best video footage of my life. The question is, would you have done the same? One note I do want to add is regarding the International Shark Attack Files. Their studies do show that although divers are at a pretty low risk of getting attacked their risk is increased by solo diving along with entering or exiting the water at dusk or dawn.

I have another question regarding solo diving. First I will state that I have solo dived, it is not a regular occurence for me but there are circumstances where you either choose not to dive or you dive solo. I registered for a boat dive in October last year in CA, my wife (main dive buddy) could not get away from work so I went alone. In scheduling the 2 tank boat dive you always make the assumption that there are an even # of divers to pair up with, if not the Dive Master keeps it even. This was not the case. I was the only solo diver on this boat as everyone else was paired up. The dive master provided an overview of the dive site but did not dive. I buddied up with a husband/wife pair and during the dive they ran out of air after only 40min. I had the choice of continuing diving for another 20min (water depth was only 15-35ft in kelp forrest) or surfacing with them. I chose to keep diving and wound up capturing some of the best video footage of my life. The question is, would you have done the same? One note I do want to add is regarding the International Shark Attack Files. Their studies do show that although divers are at a pretty low risk of getting attacked their risk is increased by solo diving along with entering or exiting the water at dusk or dawn.

The great thing about this forum is that you can get a lot of information regarding how to best prepare BEFORE SOLO diving. I have learned a lot of what to do and what not to do since I opened the thread. It did open my eyes on I how important it was to equip oneself prior to Solo Diving. I encourage you to read through some of the prior post and pick up on some of the suggestions of these veteran solo divers, there is everything from redundant air supplies Pony bottle/spare air) to classes to take just to give you a glimpse. Really good stuff.

The best thing you could have done was to ask the question? I am glad you did.
Definitely get informed.
Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

I dove solo for 40+ years because we own our own boat and my wife didn't dive. Two years ago the wife got into scuba, got her open water cert and is now a diver and I have a buddy. I have to say I feel a lot less safe now.

I have been on a boat or two in similar situations. One time my buddy was too cold for dive #2, so the DM let me go solo, figuring I knew what I was doing. I do bring along my pony in case that happens. As mentioned, my personal rule for solo is 30' depth (or a little deeper). So, I have been down as much as 120' solo, but it is not my preference. Despite what they say like you can die in 5 feet of water or less, and solo diving depends on experience and comfortability, my opinion is the deeper you are (solo or buddy) the more doo doo you can get into.

Back
Top Bottom