How Many "Solo Divers" Begin and End Solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the local charters that allow hunting are all geared toward solo diving. The group may all start out together but will seperate during the course of the dive. A safety sausage or marker is required for the divers and charters benefit.

I often head out alone. Sometimes, I'll encounter someone I know and continue with them. Sometimes I'll have multiple buddies and they'll head up early. I'll solo from a boat, I'll solo from shore. I pretty much feel if I'm qualified to make the dive with a buddy, I'm qualified to make it solo. I never depend on my buddy for my safety.

spearfishing the jetties in oregon (on scuba) is Same Day, Same Ocean...its the local buddy system

Depends on who I dive with. When I dive solo by myself Im the only one in the boat and at the dive site. I may come back with a few "freinds" but they are not so friendly when I get them home and into a pot :)

When I dive with a particular buddy Im lucky (or unlucky) to see him before I surface.
With other buddys it all depends on our pre dive breif.

All in all I come back solo half the time.

Walter:
I often head out alone. Sometimes, I'll encounter someone I know and continue with them. Sometimes I'll have multiple buddies and they'll head up early. I'll solo from a boat, I'll solo from shore. I pretty much feel if I'm qualified to make the dive with a buddy, I'm qualified to make it solo. I never depend on my buddy for my safety.

exactly how I proceed....most of my solo time is "partials" here and there....it makes discussing things a bit unclear sometimes.

This type of diving makes me uncomfortable. Sometimes I will go down with someone and we will be together, until we split up. This is just fine because we are both solo divers that happen to be together for a while. However, I really don't consider them to be my buddies, I DO NOT expect any help in an emergency and if they get killed while we are both down, I doubt that I will feel particularly guilty about it.

However, when I dive with a real "dive buddy" we are together all the time and I expect to stay that way.

I often have no buddies on the weekdays. So it's just me, my camera & pony bottle.Weekends when I do have dive buddies depend on their skills sometimes will agree at the start of the dive that when they reach their turnaround pressure and I still plenty I'll met them on the beach. There is just a few people I trust in their abilitys to navigate back to the exit point. In all other cases In with a buddy out with a buddy.
Dive Safe, Dive Often, Dive Prince William Sound AK

If I start with a buddy I will stay with them to the end of the dive but if I am diving witha group of "soloists" (ie we are all in the same ocean there for we are buddies) I dont worry about breaking off of the group. If I am going to dive alone I will and I usually enjoy it as much or more than if I had a buddy.

I especially hate when a buddy gets scared and panics that is the kind of situation that can end bad quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom