How Much Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt that I could succeed at a 30-second exhale ... and I'm not going to ask students to do something I can't do.
Sure you can. I do it in every OW class I teach.

It is in preparation for the horizontal CESA, a required skill for the class. It is an artificial skill I have argued against for a very long time, to no avail. Students are supposed to swim 30 feet in a pool, exhaling the whole way, while swimming at a "normal" pace. An overly anal reading of the PADI ascent material defines a "normal" ascent rate at 60 FPM, meaning that a student who performs this skill under the supervision of an instructor who insists on 60 FPM must exhale for 30 seconds. I have known instructors who do insist on this rate, and their students are able to do it. (As I said earlier, in my IE, I was clearly told that students could go faster then 60 FPM during a CESA.)

Although I do not require students to go at that rate, I do go at about that rate when I demo. Before I do that, I have them practice it while standing in the shallow end of the pool. I do it with them, my eyes glued to my watch while I exhale, indicating every ten seconds that pass. Most of them do not hit 30 seconds in this exercise--its benefit is it teaches then not to blast out all their air in the first 5 seconds of the exercise.

They can choose one of three techniques I describe for them:
1. The "ahhh" sound, with that "ahhh" barely pronounced, the air barely escaping.
2. The "Zzzzzz" sound, again barely pronounced.
3. The "King tut" technique (the one that works best for them usually), in which the student says "Tut tut tut tut tut tut" while exhaling.

Again, I emphasize that this is an artificial process designed to overcome the fact that they are required to do the horizontal CESA with no air expansion. Most importantly, I would never, ever, ever advocate this as the way to breathe normally while diving.

Even in a pool, the horizontal CESA is not horizontal, and in a normal 12' deep pool it's expanding the air in your lungs by about 40%.

I did say "absent the expanding air on a CESA" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Even in a pool, the horizontal CESA is not horizontal, and in a normal 12' deep pool it's expanding the air in your lungs by about 40%.

I did say "absent the expanding air on a CESA" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
The air does not expand whilst we are standing with our heads out of the water in the shallow end of the pool.

But that is a minor quibble--I am just saying YOU can exhale that long--not that you SHOULD exhale that long. I am also not in any way agreeing that exhaling like that should be a part of normal scuba breathing.

Staying on the CESA topic-- When I did mine in the OW checkout dive I recall ascending quite fast. The instructor said wow, that was pretty fast. He didn't say that this could be risky if you had a lot of N in your tissues (and perhaps moreso if doing a CESA from deeper than 30'). I regularly practise it from 20-30' when I want to ascend to check location. I start with only half full lungs. From what I've observed, instructors tell students to take a deep breath (sometimes even 2 or 3, thus a bit of hyperventilation) before doing the CESA. My thought is this is not practical, because if you can take a deep breath you probably have enough tank air to make a normal ascent. Whereas, if your reg starts breathing hard, you are about to be OOA, so inhale what you can and go. What think you?

The air does not expand whilst we are standing with our heads out of the water in the shallow end of the pool.

But that is a minor quibble--I am just saying YOU can exhale that long--not that you SHOULD exhale that long. I am also not in any way agreeing that exhaling like that should be a part of normal scuba breathing.

I can do a 30-second exhale -- I just did -- but after that I need a few breaths to get my breathing back to normal. 30-secong inhale is harder. I'm sure somebody out there can do a 60-minute dive on only 60 breaths. Just as there's (was) a person capable of holding her breath for 9 minutes...

People's physiology and level of control over their breathing varies considerably. I just did a 30 second exhale to be sure I really could, and I don't find it difficult. Freedivers with training go for minutes.

But those aren't experiments I would want to run on SCUBA. I adjust the amount of air I bring along or the planned duration of my dive to maintain a suitable reserve.

Forcing yourself to breathe too slowly is a good way to induce shallow water blackout ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Forcing yourself to breathe too slowly is a good way to induce shallow water blackout ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob, no one is advocating 30 second exhales. We're just saying it can be done, and it is not that hard to do so. I have said several times it is NOT what you should be doing in scuba.

A technique I have used to control "Hooverism" in students is to sing while diving. Singing requires proper phrasing and breath control so the song doesn't get chopped up. Wind and Vocal Musicians tend to breathe in very deep, very quickly, and control the exhale to conserve enough air to make it through a phrase. By refocusing worry about running low on air to singing all the way through a phrase, I have seen students relax considerably and their sac improve dramatically in just a couple of dives.

Just an idea to try. If nothing else, fish will swim with you out of curiosity about the weird noises coming from you.

I like "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." I don't know if it improves my SAC, but I have noticed an improvement in my OBP, OPS, and WHIP. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom