How much are you willing to pay your LDS over online?

How much markup is too much?

• I always purchase online!

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • 1-10%

Votes: 47 37.3%
  • 11-20%

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • 21-30%

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • 31-40%

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • 41%+

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I always support my LDS!

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying dive gear in Australia basically seems to amount to almost a 200% markup. I'll buy cheap stuff like clips or a slate from my LDS. But I've bought almost everything else online. For a $50 price difference or less, I'd go to the LDS. But not a when the markup runs into hundreds or thousands of dollars over what I can get online for the exact same gear (including shipping and full international warranty).

eg. I got a package shipped from Scuba Toys recently for $850. For the same gear here, I was quoted $2700. As much as I feel like I should support my LDS, I have a limit.

I'd go with Scuba Toys....save about 800.00 AND they have a personal touch too. Talk with them.
They stand by their products, and won't steer you wrong.

It's an unfair topic for me to weigh in on being that Scuba Toys is local to me, but Joe and Larry really are top notch and their guys are great. It doesn't matter where you live, give them a call.

I'm willing to pay a premium on those things that I can get elsewhere to keep my LDS in business. But I'm not willing to allow myself to get robbed. My LDS has been, with a few notable exceptions, within the 10% range of online. So if they can stay in that area I'm fine. Those purchases, along with those things I can't get online (instruction, fills, VIP, etc) should be sufficient to keep them in business.

-K2

Keeping in business, basically means "just getting by." That means no new things for my kids, no vacation for me, and no upgrades on household things. If I am keeping in business, then I am just not starving. This is not a quality of life. Would you want your job to be one that allows you to "stay afloat?" I don't think so.

The average LDS is unable to buy in the massive quantities that online outlets can. This means the wholesale price is more for them. They usually will have a higher price because of this. I feel for for all of us. While some of us are trying to do right by our customers, other are, indeed, jacking the price far out of bounds. But most don't.
And remember, when you buy online and have a quick problem, your online store will require a lot more time and loss of diving than I will. You can just drive over and I'll fix it, usually before your boat leaves. My shop lets you dive the big gear you are interested in before you purchase it. You know whether you like it or not. Try that online.

What does the LDS have to offer?

Try it on, it they happen to have what it is I want in the shop, which is rather rare.

That's about it. All the other things that are sometimes listed, at least for me, really don't apply.

When you look at the full cost of equipping a cold-water diver including a wetsuit and a dry suit and some major accessories, perhaps a can-light or a scooter, and you look at the difference between what it would cost at an LDS and on-line, that difference would get you a small compressor ... so there goes the, "how will I fill my tanks?" argument.

Buying dive gear in Australia basically seems to amount to almost a 200% markup. I'll buy cheap stuff like clips or a slate from my LDS. But I've bought almost everything else online. For a $50 price difference or less, I'd go to the LDS. But not a when the markup runs into hundreds or thousands of dollars over what I can get online for the exact same gear (including shipping and full international warranty).

eg. I got a package shipped from Scuba Toys recently for $850. For the same gear here, I was quoted $2700. As much as I feel like I should support my LDS, I have a limit.

I fully agree, I purchase everything I can online right now. Small items and personal fit items I'll buy at the lds. However this only works while the Australian dollar is so strong against the usd. As soon as the aud drops then our dive centers will become viable to purchase from again and the better option due to full local service and warrentys. However while the AUD is like this I've already spent about $8000 in 6 months... Buying gear and backup gear.

I fully agree, I purchase everything I can online right now. Small items and personal fit items I'll buy at the lds. However this only works while the Australian dollar is so strong against the usd. As soon as the aud drops then our dive centers will become viable to purchase from again and the better option due to full local service and warrentys. However while the AUD is like this I've already spent about $8000 in 6 months... Buying gear and backup gear.

Australia divers do seem to have a different thing going on entirely. I would think the shop's shipping and custom fees would really jack up their prices.

I am in a nice little niche here. I can get things reasonably and have an importer's license that means my things don't get stolen here. The mail system is such that private orders from citizens are all opened and inspected. Many times, they do not put back the order. Mail theft is quite common here and people know that if they order it, it probably won't make it to them. They have safety with me.

There are items that I just don't carry or would be to costly for the consumer after mark-up. I just don't bother with them and will tell customers where to order from, if they have APO addresses. I can special order, but they know and agree to costs beforehand.

I have a market. Mine is the average recreational diver. I don't expect specialty divers to need me. I carry a limited range of technical gear that is appropriate for this area. I choose not to carry a large overhead in gear, because that will kill me. An average business owner just cannot carry $100,000. worth of specialty items that won't move. No hard feeling here.

More often than not I order online because of selection, not price. I have an LDS nearby that has very competitive prices and I have spent a fair amount of money there, but they're not a scuba warehouse. When I was looking for a wing, they had three or four and none of them were really what I was looking for. When I shop online, I'm not restricted to their inventory.

0%

I've said the same other similar threads, LDS need to compete. They have had years to adjust their business models as the internet grew. There is no excuse for their prices, especially not that much of a difference. And, did I read that right??? That price was AFTER a 20% discount???

It all depends on what they bring to the table for total value. In general a numerical answer is probably around 20%. Reality will vary.

For instance, being able to try on or even demo dive a pair of fins is a huge value compared to mail order roulette. Even with a liberal exchange freight policy it's a PITA and waste of time.

Wetsuits can be another item where being able to try multiple brands / models to find the ideal suit is a big value. You may get lucky enough on the web but you can only try so many.

Most of my online purchases are for items not carried locally and items that are a lead pipe cinch such as direct replacement items and hardware.

Pete

I support my LDS, however, so far they have been within 10% of online prices for most things. I will not purchase a mask online because two different masks of the same brand and model can fit differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom