How much did it cost you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy:
This topic is NEVER supposed to be discussed!!!

Never, ever begin to total up the $'s spent on one's hobby!

This is why I shop at a few dive stores...I don't have to add it all up! :D

Stephen, I was going to threaten to use my moderator powers to kill this thread before my husband saw it . . . But I'm too late :(

Oops! Sorry.

Most of us get there a little at a time. We buy this and that and over the years slowly build up our gear closet and our bank of training and experience. I wonder how many of us would sign on for this adventure if we had to pay the 10, 20, 40, or 60K all up front. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have.

Can you imagine... day one of OW...

"I want to sign up for full cave, please."

"Great, sign here. That will be $60,000, please. You should be ready to go in 5 to 10 years. Better get in the pool and work on that back kick!"

Belmont:
The difference between boys and men is the cost of their toys...:wink:

I'm a LITTLE boy....

Michael

TSandM:
Stephen, I was going to threaten to use my moderator powers to kill this thread before my husband saw it . . . But I'm too late :(

All the cave classes and gear etc. aren't going to add up to even half the cost of a condo in MX :eyebrow:

rjack321:
All the cave classes and gear etc. aren't going to add up to even half the cost of a condo in MX :eyebrow:

Probably not. We looked at houses while we were there last time and of the ones we looked at...$350,000 was the least expensive in Tulum. Out Boca Pila way they were about 1.6 to 1.9!

So far, hasn't cost me a cent. Though I've not "officially" started down the road yet, as I'll be taking cavern this weekend.

:)

That said...

I already own all the gear for my diving here in NJ. I travel to Florida for work frequently. I dive most every weekend anyway, so fills, etc are costs I'd incur wherever I was. So, the incremental cost really should be just the cost of training.

If my wife asks, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! (Of course she also thinks both of my drysuits were $200 each on ebay.)

You'll will hate me by the end of this post, but I can deal.

I read and hear about the "cost of cave diving" and I just don't see it. For me, cave diving is a BARGAIN compared to any other type of technical diving, hell, even some recreational diving. For example (strictly diving costs)... I went down to Ft. Lauderdale the other weekend, it was an Easter Sunday charter, so $65 for 3 dives, 3 tanks of Nitrox at $14/tank, $10 tip, total = $117. Cave diving... Ginnie entrance fee $20, two doubles topoffs and a little O2 $30, total = $50. Traveling is a wash and I won't mention my costs for fear of my life, my cave training cost well under $1k, which won't go very far for adv nitrox/deco/the 16 divisions of trimix classes there are now. The equipment is a wash compared to other technical diving, but the key is to wait out some bargains, I got my doubles for $600, drysuit for $300, regs for $500, etc.

Anyway... anybody want to be my friend? :D

I'll be your friend Ben... :)

Working at a shop in cave country has it's advantages. I am not full yet, just intro, but for the fun of it...

My doubles were $500 (I borrow steels for the time being), light $1250, Drysuit $1500. Cost to drive to the caves about $20 in gas. Annual park pass $80 so I can get my dive buddies in for free. Fills average about $15.

Given my current costs, I'll probably finish full cave for under $6k including gear, training, travel, and dive expenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom