how much do shops make on us???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chironomidkraut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well i get a 15% discount and free air fills, for volunteering at lds when they need help..... I think i am getting a pretty good deal, but what kinda comission do the shops actually make on scuba gear?? I have always been curious, cause i see the PADI and NAUI open water diving students get tonnes of new gear with every new class that comes up, and people like me who always seem to be buying stuff there, help fill this burning question of mine please..:eyebrow:

I can't talk for everyone, but in my experience the markup on gear is pretty steep because they don't make much money, if anything, on many other aspects of their industry. For example, in our area, there is very little call for local diving, so the expenses of owning, maintaining, and filling tanks is nearly 100% overhead to support instruction. If the shop were near the ocean, then they could make money filling tanks, but that is not an option here.

The shop has its own pool, which comes at an enormous cost for maintenance, so when you look at how much they make for instruction, don't forget to subtract that cost.

The shop plans organized trips and tries to make money on them, but that model is becoming obsolete with the ease of Internet travel, and I know they have broken even or even lost money on some trips.

I am not a shop employee, but when I look at what I estimate to be the cash flow of the operation, I honestly find it hard to believe that are able to stay in business.

So, yes, there is a pretty good markup on equipment.

Their markup is quite a bit more than 15% but how good a discount that is depends on what you could have bought it for elsewhere. I really don't care if markup is 50% or 150%. What I care about is finding the best price and not having to put up with a bunch of BS when I buy for that best price.

Typically 100%. Some items/manufacturers don't have the same markup. Search MAP or MARP on the board and read a about it.

On a lot of stuff the mark up is 100% or more. Some manufacturers have a narrower margin that the dealers can work with though. The dry snorkel you paid 49 bucks for may have cost the shop 12-15 dollars or even less if they bought in quantity or took advantage of a deal at DEMA. Most masks run in the 15-20 dollar range cost wise if it's one of the ones that is really generic with a certain brand slapped on.

If you are volunteering and only getting 15% off that is not that great. That is the difference for many between SRP and what the shop can sell it to anybody for. DM's and AI's as well as instructors for shops that really want to keep them around will get stuff for cost plus shipping, key man deals which may be less than cost, or maybe cost plus 10%, and including free air fills as well.

Well i get a 15% discount and free air fills, for volunteering at lds when they need help..... I think i am getting a pretty good deal, but what kinda comission do the shops actually make on scuba gear?? I have always been curious, cause i see the PADI and NAUI open water diving students get tonnes of new gear with every new class that comes up, and people like me who always seem to be buying stuff there, help fill this burning question of mine please..:eyebrow:

If you have asked the question, you will not like the answer.

N

WOW i am shocked by what all you are telling me, i guess no matter what we all are still bending over for the dive shops in a big way, no matter how much they tell ya how good of a deal you are getting:depressed:

WOW i am shocked by what all you are telling me, i guess no matter what we all are still bending over for the dive shops in a big way, no matter how much they tell ya how good of a deal you are getting:depressed:

Shops have to stay afloat one way or another.

Personally, I'd be more than ready to trade better pricing on gear for $20 air fills and $1500 OW courses. But gear manufacturers are protecting their prices (fiercely), and nobody is protecting instruction or fills - so that won't happen anytime soon.

LDS survive by selling gear this is true. Whats sad is that many shops try to make enough on one complete set of gear to fund a warm water vacation. So many shops these days forget that a happy customer is a return customer.

One thing is so many of them have little respect for customers in such ways as they demand our medical history then violate peoples right to privacy by laying the forms around for anyone to see. This was the topic of a heated thread and many people feel like by being a dive master they are entitled to know your medical history.

But back to the profit margins which is why we are in discussion here the shop owners of so many shops demand higher margins and defend them with foolish arguements such as paying less through an online dealer is a grey market and it can get you killed and all that nonsenes yet they go and buy a new car and expect a dealership to knock off a few thousand bucks. They just dont practice what they preach.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom