How much easier is Nitrox 32% / EAN32% on your body?

How much easier or better does 32% feel for you in terms of post-dive tiredness?

• Nitrox makes me more tired.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nitrox is about the same as Air.

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • 1.5 Nitrox dives feels like 1 Air dive.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • 2 Nitrox dives feels like 1 Air dive.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • 3 Nitrox dives feels like 1 Air dive.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • The above selection approximately scales-up linearly for me (3:2, 4:2)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • The marginal benefit (w.r.t. tiredness) of Nitrox decreases with further dives.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Its perceived positive effect fades and eliminates with more diving experience.

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of the above. For a tank or two in a days diving, I see no difference so I don't bother with Nitrox for my regular diving. On a three day lobster diving trips I switched to Nitrox because I felt better each evening than when I used air. The dives I make are relatively the same as I'm hunting lobsters, not trying to push NDL. They don't call it geezer gas for nothing.

One thing I noticed in the studies they have a specific definition of fatigue that is not the same as the nebulous definition that us regular folk use. In one study they found there was no difference in fatigue, however the majority subjects noted on one evaluation that they felt better after the Nitrox dives, and perhaps sub clinical DCS was the reason. Since the study was about fatigue, they only noted that there was enough evidence to suggest a study about feeling better and Nitrox.

Bob

Reactions: Jay
I wouldn’t rule of that there could possibly be medical reasons people feel better, poor circulation, etc.

I had a buddy that got bent and would get reoccurring symptoms on even shallow dives. Nitrox helped.

I like the extra BT. My wife likes the extra NDL margin. She's had a couple relatively minor DCS incidents, so that aspect of nitrox makes her feel better :) (less anxiety). When we dive together we hit the "sweet spot." Seems to work for us.

DAN’s study seems to be flawed just based on the way it was conducted. Why would anyone be fatigued by sitting around in a chamber? Just from the effort of breathing?

The in-water study seems more credible. If after divers exert themselves on a dive, does Nitrox make them feel less fatigued?

It has to be a scenario where fatigue occurs to measure whether it’s reduced. If none of the divers are ever fatigued, what do you have to compare?

Whether divers “feel” better is irrelevant. That should not be the determining factor whether you use it or not. The fact of the matter is that EAN 32 is physiologically better for you, not because it has more O2, but because it has less N2.

DAN’s study seems to be flawed just based on the way it was conducted. Why would anyone be fatigued by sitting around in a chamber? Just from the effort of breathing?

The in-water study seems more credible. If after divers exert themselves on a dive, does Nitrox make them feel less fatigued?

It has to be a scenario where fatigue occurs to measure whether it’s reduced. If none of the divers are ever fatigued, what do you have to compare?
First of all, it was not a DAN study. it was a DAN report on an Australian study. Secondly, if you actually look at the study, they DID do exercise while in the chamber, they didn't just sit there.

Ok... ok... I didn’t dedicate the amount of time to this you have. But, just so you know, I agree with you. However, I think it’s possible there may be a few exceptions for sub clinical DCS and maybe other medical issues.

Again, it wouldn’t be the first time here the group looked at the evidence and came up with the wrong answer.

Just look at the whole post about backing off on valves...

Only 49 years of diving for me, but, then again, I am not old :)

Well guys 20 years younger than I have told me they use nitrox because of their advanced age. I don't what to tell you young man.

So at this stage roughly 1 in 3 feel a benefit of nitrox. And that feel it, it's seems to be a decent feeling.

I posted this poll with the assumption that it was a given nitrox was beneficial. In my limited diving experience I hadn't (yet) come across anyone saying otherwise, and I assumed the dive shops weren't just after a few nitrox $ either as it's often 'recommended'.

I wonder, as being part of the minority group, the next time I dive nitrox, given now I know its effect is not clear cut or at least for the majority of divers there is no effect, will my feeling be the same or is my placebo bubble about to be popped.

The votes can be altered. It'll be interesting to see if Nitroxers shift camps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom